23 Aug Weekly Rundown: Superdrug Held Ransom, Microsoft’s Election Tools, BAH’s $1B Deal
News and resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cybersecurity
– Kerry Morgan, Cybercrime Reporter
Northport, N.Y. — Aug. 23, 2018
- Microsoft announces free election cybersecurity protection tools to all election candidates and campaign offices using Office 365.
- DNC voter database found to be the target of a cyberattack.
- U.S. federal government gives Booz Allen $1 billion to build up cybersecurity capabilities at several federal agencies.
- Facebook and Twitter announce suspicious Iranian accounts — hundreds of pages and accounts shut down.
- DHS cyber office projects $640 million in buying in 5 components through 2020.
- UK “hacking prosecutions” drop 18 percent in 2017 — RPC attributes this to lack of police resources.
- Why following the 1-10-60 rule of cybersecurity can help minimize impact and further escalation of a cyber threat.
- Mozilla quietly removes Firefox add-on that snooped on 200,000 + users’ activity.
- UK Health and Beauty Retailer Superdrug held ransom for data of 20,000 customers.
- Cybercrime set to cost the world $6 trillion annually by 2021 — could Blockchain be the answer?
Robert Herjavec on cybersecurity jobs, women in cybersecurity, getting more young people involved in cybersecurity, and…he’s Batman!
Follow the companies that support our Weekly Rundown:
- Digital Defense — Trusted provider of security risk assessment solutions, protecting billions of dollars in assets for clients around the globe.
- EKRAN — Monitor, detect, and analyze user based insider threats. User monitoring software for your servers and workstations.
- Agari — Eliminate email as a channel for cyber attacks and enable businesses and consumers to interact safely.
- Secure Anchor — High-touch cybersecurity services that help organizations prevent breaches, detect network intrusions, and respond to advanced threats.
- CyberSN.com — Dramatically decrease the frustration, time and cost associated with job searching for Cyber Security Professionals.
- MetaCompliance — GDPR for Dummies. Download your free PDF to help with your internal GDPR training.
Community resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cyber:
- Top cybersecurity news sites for breaking stories and the latest threat alerts
- Quarterly cybercrime diary of data breaches and cyberattacks
- Hack blotter with cybercriminal Investigations, arrests and convictions
- 20 cybersecurity experts to follow on Twitter for crowd-sourced opinions and insights
- Cybersecurity events calendar featuring conferences and expos globally
- Big list of hacker and cybersecurity movies from 1969 to present
- Cybersecurity 500 list of the world’s hottest and most innovative cybersecurity companies
- Cyberwarfare report contains a dateline of U.S. and international cyber conflicts
- List of cybersecurity mergers and acquisitions (M&A) every quarter
- VC report covers venture capital and corporate investments into cybersecurity companies
Extraordinarily high value domain name is listed for sale by owner:
Check back each business day for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!
– Kerry Morgan is a Cybercrime Reporter for Cybercrime Magazine.