02 Sep Northport, N.Y. Local News
Breaking stories, events, restaurants, real estate, jobs and classifieds
NORTHPORT’S BIG RACE
The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run is one of the most prestigious foot races in the country. Runner’s World has named the Great Cow Harbor 10K Run as one of the top 100 races in the USA. New England Runner regularly places The Great Cow Harbor 10K Run in its Top 100 Races, stating, “Big race atmosphere in a small town on the Island; it’s a winner! Who says those ‘rolling’ courses can’t be fun?” Watch the video produced by Mobolaji (“Mo”) Adeolu, Vice President, Creative Director at Cybercrime Magazine.
When you visit Northport, be sure to pick up a copy of “The Observer,” a hometown printed weekly newspaper available in local shops including Copenhagen Bakery on Woodbine Avenue and Northport Harbor Delicatessen (Rob’s Deli) a few doors down from us on Main Street. There is no online version, but it’s our favorite newspaper for breaking stories, events, restaurants, real estate, jobs and classifieds.
- Patch is an online source for Northport, N.Y. local news, things-to-do, crime, and information on the latest open houses in our town.
- Founded in 1838 by American poet and legend, Walt Whitman, The Long-Islander has a rich tradition of providing readers in the Town of Huntington, including Northport, with the local news they need, when they need it, while simultaneously maintaining impeccable quality and an eagle eye to detail.
- The Times of Huntington-Northport is a community news and entertainment website covering all of the towns in Huntington, N.Y. including Northport.
- Huntington Now covers government and politics, schools, cultural news, business, police and justice, and happenings around Huntington, including Northport.
- Long Island Press covers our entire region including Northport and the surrounding towns.
- Newsday is one of the nation’s largest daily newspapers, and the most popular media on Long Island. They’ve featured Cybersecurity Ventures in several stories over the years, including the launch of WCYB Digital Radio aka “Cybercrime Radio,” our round-the-clock Internet radio station.
- News 12 Long Island is the exclusive 24-hour local news service dedicated to bringing you the best local news and information about the neighborhoods in our region.
- Dan’s Papers is our favorite destination for all things in the Hamptons.
- Montauk Sun is recommended reading if you’re planning a trip to “The End” of Long Island.
Main Street in Northport still bears trolley rails from a long since discontinued streetcar line that opened in 1902 and made its last commuter run in 1924 when it became obsolete due to the popularity of the automobile.
- The Northport Historical Society’s photo collection is comprised of more than 4,000 images, many of which have already been digitized and cataloged. Go here for a sampling of historic images.
- Tim’s Shipwreck Diner in Northport has served the community for nearly a century. The diner is a former dining car from an old trolly that was rolled down Main Street to its current spot in 1924.
- The Northport Sweet Shop, established in 1929, still flourishes as an institution in Northport. People from all over Long Island visit the luncheonette for countertop classics like a hot fudge sundae or root beer float.
- The Thompson Building, on the corner of Scudder and Woodbine Avenue, is an impressive late nineteenth-century manufacturing building that now houses retail and professional offices. The incredible original architectural details make the building an iconic landmark. In 1890, The Edward Thompson Company, a law book publishing company, occupied the building and was the Village’s largest employer. Davis Aircraft, known as the developers of the first seat belts for automobiles, operated its manufacturing plant in The Thompson Building from 1961 until 1984.
- Cybersecurity Ventures is headquartered at 83 Main Street in Northport, previously home to ‘Northport’s Five and Ten,’ where the business operated for five decades, until 1990.
- The Great Cow Harbor 10K (6.2 mile) Run is one of the most prestigious foot races in the country. Runner’s World has named it as one of the top 100 races in the U.S. The race takes place on the third Saturday of each September. In 1977, 1,002 runners finished the first race. In 2022, the race is expected to attract nearly 5,000 participants.
Cybersecurity Ventures is headquartered in Northport, a historic seaside village on the north shore of Long Island in Suffolk County, N.Y., which has been the backdrop for big-screen motion pictures, indie films, and TV shows.
Cybercrime Magazine’s team of producers, hosts, writers, editors, videographers, and content specialists work out of the second floor of the Brush Building on Main Street — built in 1925 and renovated in 2017 — which is steps away from Northport Harbor.
Kevin Mitnick, the world’s most famous hacker, snuck into our Northport studios on a brisk sunny day in the fall of 2019 to film five original videos and footage for a documentary produced by Cybersecurity Ventures.
Although we cover cybercrime news globally, we relish our hometown and enjoy sharing its local happenings and history with out-of-town visitors.
LOCAL DOMAIN NAMES
The domain names listed below are for sale. Contact us to make an offer if you’re interested in owning a piece of local Internet real estate.
If you’re curious to learn more, then visit Main Street in Northport Village and take a walk down memory lane.