02 Aug Weekly Rundown: HP Printer Bounty, DHS on Energy Grid Hacks, Security in Everyday Life
News and resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cybersecurity
– Kerry Morgan, Cybercrime Reporter
Northport, N.Y. — Aug. 2, 2018
- Idaho prison inmates steal $225,000 by exploiting a software vulnerability in tablet computers.
- HP announces first bug bounty for printer security – 34 researchers, $10,000 per bug.
- A privacy researcher analyzed a year’s worth of Venmo transactions — and here’s what she found.
- Ontario teen trades in broken iPhone — refurbished phone is then sold to a man who now has all her data and pictures.
- Rising Cyber Threats and Stiffening Defenses Are The Bellwether Trends In the first half of 2018.
- Numerous security flaws found in Samsung SmartThings Hub — make sure your firmware has been updated to avoid these vulnerabilities.
- Nearly 1.4 million patients’ data may have been exposed after data breach of UnityPoint Health — one of the largest healthcare networks in the midwest.
- DHS launches National Risk Management Center aimed at encouraging information sharing between government agencies and corporations to defend against cyber threats.
- Facebook removes accounts and pages suspected to be led by the Russian based group Internet Research Agency (IRA).
- Cyberattacks on the energy grid — DHS findings and plans of action.
Dark Web: Fighting Cybercrime – the battle of security and vulnerabilities in our everyday life:
Follow the companies that support our Weekly Rundown:
- Digital Defense — Trusted provider of security risk assessment solutions, protecting billions of dollars in assets for clients around the globe.
- EKRAN — Monitor, detect, and analyze user based insider threats. User monitoring software for your servers and workstations.
- Agari — Eliminate email as a channel for cyber attacks and enable businesses and consumers to interact safely.
- Secure Anchor — High-touch cybersecurity services that help organizations prevent breaches, detect network intrusions, and respond to advanced threats.
- CyberSN.com — Dramatically decrease the frustration, time and cost associated with job searching for Cyber Security Professionals.
- MetaCompliance — GDPR for Dummies. Download your free PDF to help with your internal GDPR training.
Community resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cyber:
- Top cybersecurity news sites for breaking stories and the latest threat alerts
- Quarterly cybercrime diary of data breaches and cyberattacks
- Hack blotter with cybercriminal Investigations, arrests and convictions
- 20 cybersecurity experts to follow on Twitter for crowd-sourced opinions and insights
- Cybersecurity events calendar featuring conferences and expos globally
- Big list of hacker and cybersecurity movies from 1969 to present
- Cybersecurity 500 list of the world’s hottest and most innovative cybersecurity companies
- Cyberwarfare report contains a dateline of U.S. and international cyber conflicts
- List of cybersecurity mergers and acquisitions (M&A) every quarter
- VC report covers venture capital and corporate investments into cybersecurity companies
Extraordinarily high value domain name is listed for sale by owner:
Check back each business day for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!
– Kerry Morgan is a Cybercrime Reporter for Cybercrime Magazine.