13 Sep Weekly Rundown: Cyber Threat Eclipses Terrorism, Cloud Security Tips, Phi Beta Cyber
News and resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cybersecurity
– Kerry Morgan, Cybercrime Reporter
Northport, N.Y. — Sep. 13, 2018
The cybersecurity stories we’re following this week, and you should too:
- British Airways hack was by same group that compromised Ticketmaster.
- Microsoft releases software update patching 61 security vulnerabilities – 17 of which are rated as critical.
- 5 tips for better cloud security.
- On 9/11 anniversary, DHS says cyber threat has eclipsed terrorism.
- DOJ unseals massive complaint against North Korean hacker – charges mark new phase in cyber crackdown.
- Arizona Attorney General reportedly investigating Google’s location tracking practices.
- Why We Need Women in Security and What We’re Doing to Help.
- UK business leaders urged to upgrade cyber security.
- Higher education ranked one of the worst industries at handling cyberattacks.
- Researchers hack and steal a Model S; Tesla says vulnerability now fixed.
What is The Phi Beta Cyber Society?
Cyber alerts from AlienVault Open Threat Exchange (OTX) — The world’s first truly open threat intelligence community:
- Small businesses targeted by highly localized Ursnif campaign
- CamuBot: New Financial Malware Targets Brazilian Banking Customers
- Password Protected Word Document Delivers HERMES Ransomware
- A Closer Look at the Locky Poser, PyLocky Ransomware
- New variants of the well-known IoT botnets Mirai and Gafgyt are uncovered.
Join OTX for free to share your threat research and subscribe to other contributors.
– Curated by Steve Morgan, OTX User and Editor-In-Chief at Cybercrime Magazine
Community resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cyber:
- Top cybersecurity news sites for breaking stories and the latest threat alerts
- Quarterly cybercrime diary of data breaches and cyberattacks
- Hack blotter with cybercriminal Investigations, arrests and convictions
- 20 cybersecurity experts to follow on Twitter for crowd-sourced opinions and insights
- Cybersecurity events calendar featuring conferences and expos globally
- Big list of hacker and cybersecurity movies from 1969 to present
- Cybersecurity 500 list of the world’s hottest and most innovative cybersecurity companies
- Cyberwarfare report contains a dateline of U.S. and international cyber conflicts
- List of cybersecurity mergers and acquisitions (M&A) every quarter
- VC report covers venture capital and corporate investments into cybersecurity companies
Check back every Thursday for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!
– Kerry Morgan is a Cybercrime Reporter for Cybercrime Magazine.