News and resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cybersecurity
– Kerry Morgan, Cybercrime Reporter
Northport, N.Y. — Sep. 6, 2018
The cybersecurity stories we’re following this week, and you should too:
- The importance of building diverse security teams.
- Germany concerned about possible “sleeper” cyber sabotage.
- Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen: U.S. needs private sector to help combat cyber threats — says DHS is embracing new “collective defense” strategy.
- More U.S. cities brace for cyberattacks — top 25 U.S. cities have, or are looking to buy, cybersecurity insurance.
- Checkmate: How to Win the Cybersecurity Game.
- U.S. director of national intelligence remains concerned about cyber threats to U.S. upcoming elections.
- New Silence hacking group suspected of having ties to cybersecurity industry — linked to theft of at least $800K.
- Chrome hack warning — flaw in home WiFi networks could be exploited via Google Chrome’s autofill process.
- Snapchat map hack — New York City briefly renamed “Jewtropolis” in mapping software used by snapchat and others.
Ken Xie, Founder, Chairman, and CEO of Cybersecurity Giant Fortinet talks with Cybercrime Magazine.
Cyber alerts from AlienVault Open Threat Exchange (OTX) — The world’s first truly open threat intelligence community:
- New .NET Shrug Ransomware demands a ransom in the form of Bitcoin for decrypting files.
- CeidPageLock, a Chinese RootKit, replaces the content of some popular Chinese websites with a fake homepage.
- Android spyware BondPath (a.k.a. PathCall or Dingwe) still in the wild and a threat to unprotected smartphones.
- IBM X-Force IRIS identified malicious actors using the FrameworkPOS and GratefulPOS malware to harvest massive amounts of payment card data from point-of-sale systems in 2017 and 2018.
Join OTX for free to share your threat research and subscribe to other contributors.
– Curated by Steve Morgan, OTX User and Editor-In-Chief at Cybercrime Magazine
Community resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cyber:
- Top cybersecurity news sites for breaking stories and the latest threat alerts
- Quarterly cybercrime diary of data breaches and cyberattacks
- Hack blotter with cybercriminal Investigations, arrests and convictions
- 20 cybersecurity experts to follow on Twitter for crowd-sourced opinions and insights
- Cybersecurity events calendar featuring conferences and expos globally
- Big list of hacker and cybersecurity movies from 1969 to present
- Cybersecurity 500 list of the world’s hottest and most innovative cybersecurity companies
- Cyberwarfare report contains a dateline of U.S. and international cyber conflicts
- List of cybersecurity mergers and acquisitions (M&A) every quarter
- VC report covers venture capital and corporate investments into cybersecurity companies
Check back every Thursday for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!
– Kerry Morgan is a Cybercrime Reporter for Cybercrime Magazine.