21 May Cybersecurity 500 By The Numbers: Breakdown By Region
Who’s where in the U.S. and internationally
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Sausalito, Calif. – May 21, 2018
The Official Annual Cybersecurity 500 list for 2018 was announced at the Cyber Investing Summit in New York City on May 15th.
To answer the most frequently asked questions about our popular list of the world’s hottest and most innovative cybersecurity companies, we’ll be publishing a series of articles throughout the rest of the year.
“Who’s where?” is the top FAQ.
Cybersecurity 500 by Region
Drilling down into smaller regions and U.S. metro areas, we take a composite view of where the Cybersecurity 500 companies are located:
- Silicon Valley claims the top spot with 126 companies, 31 one of them in San Francisco – making it the top city on the list. Mountain View, next after SF in the Bay Area, boasts 18 companies.
- Northeast U.S., taken as a whole combining New England, NY, and NJ, has a total of 72 companies. New England itself tallies 31 companies on the list, with 10 of them in Boston. New York, with an expanding cybersecurity economy, lists 30 companies, including 21 in Manhattan. Connecticut jumped up to 6 companies on the list this year. New Jersey has 5 companies listed.
- Europe has 67 companies altogether, with 23 of them from the United Kingdom. France and Sweden have 7 companies apiece, Germany and Switzerland both have 6, and Ireland has 5.
- DC Metro (VA/MD/DC) totals 49 companies on the list – with 29 in Virginia and 12 in Maryland.
- Israel, the world’s No. 2 exporter of cybersecurity technology, has 42 companies listed.
- Rocky Mountain U.S. has 26 companies listed, and 12 of them in Colorado. Right behind is Utah with 8 companies, and Arizona with 6.
- Southern California has 19 companies, with 5 of them in San Diego.
- Asia-Pac has a total of 19 companies, with 6 of them in China.
- Southeast U.S. accounts for 17 companies, including 8 in Florida and 5 in Georgia.
- Texas has 18 companies in total, with 9 in Austin and 5 in San Antonio.
- Canada, home to the No. 1 company on the list, features 15 companies.
- Midwest U.S. has 14 companies on the list.
- Washington State has 9 companies, and 5 of them in Seattle.
For countries, regions and cities with less than 5 companies, they do not appear in this tally.
Editors’ Note: In 2019, the Cybersecurity 500 was replaced by the Hot 150 List of Cybersecurity Companies.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.