30 Aug 772 Women In Cybersecurity We Follow On Twitter, And You Should Too
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of its kind. See the list
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Sausalito, Calif. – Aug. 29, 2018
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field. The tally was up to 717 last week — and we’ve got another 55 this week, for a total of 772 to date.
Before we get to the latest list, here’s an insightful quote that was provided to our Cybercrime Reporter, Kerry Morgan, a few days ago:
“We’re at an inflection point in cybersecurity as to women both entering and advancing in the field. WICyS (Women in Cybersecurity) is working nationally to fund and architect this change. Diversity deeply drives competitive advantage — it will be a decisive lever in cybersecurity for leading organizations.” – Margaret Morton, Vice President at Société Générale, Founding Board of Directors at WICyS, and Forbes Technology Council Member.
Now, for the new names you’ve been waiting for…
55 WOMEN IN CYBER
- Evette Maynard-Noel @OldLadyPhD Seasoned Technology and Cyber/Info Security Professional. Over 20yrs industry and government experience. Ph.D. Candidate in Information Systems. Alexandria, VA
- Claudia @zamorac561 Mom, life student, #GHC17 Scholar, cyber security technologist, diversity advocate. Delray Beach, FL
- ♕ @DigitalEmpress life-sized bratz doll with a passion for hackin | #cybersecurity | Creator of @digitalempirehq | Subscribe to my YouTube channel ⤵️ Louisiana raised, MD livin
- researcher ruby @mostdays Just another InfoSec Researcher watching the world burn. (she/ her)
- Kat Valentine @kjvalentine Some CYBER LOL hacker chick with funny hair. OG Phreak; activist; feminist; sneakerhead. Compliance for the schmoneys. California, USA
- Lexi Lee @leea_lou I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code👩🏻💻 CSU ‘22 | QA Intern @ Hyland | Cyber Robot Pilot | #1in700 | Tweets are my own 216
- Michelle @Ifindcyber Cybersecurity Recruiting- I find top Cyber talent Former Consultant #Microsoft, #Workday #Avanade #hiltonworldwide #KornFerry #Centurylink-have we chatted? Cyberland USA Sanctum 01100110
- Laura Affat @lauraaffat Passionate about #Cyber and #InfoSec. #Data #privacy and #trust is good #business . #security #advisor. All comments and opinions here are my own. Australia
- Ana Hernandez @Ana4n6 MSCY – Digital Forensics | BS in CS | STEM advocate | Volunteer @wisporg | I find your lack of encryption disturbing #dfir #cybersecurity #InfoSec. In a galaxy far, far away…
- Olga Angelopoulou @OlgaAngel Digital Forensics | InfoSec | Academic | Love all things Geek and Pink 🧐
- Des @d3sre Senior Cyber Security Analyst, Blue Teamer, dc4131 since 2011, curious geek driven by the urge to understand things, mostly interested in DFIR &Threat Intel. Zurich, Switzerland.
- Elise @Elise_LCDB 👩💻Computer Science Student. Programmer. Cyber Security Enthusiast and Newbie.
- Audrey Watters @audreywatters writer @hackeducation, 2017-18 Spencer Fellow @columbiajourn, ed-tech’s Cassandra, author of The Monsters of Education Technology
- Nadene Facey @NadeneFacey #Marketer in #ITInfrastructure & #MSP space @_TheBunker Interested in #digitalmarketing, #datasecurity #fintech #CyberSecurity #Gym enthusiast & lover of birds. Kent, UK
- Jenn Diesi @jenndiesi Entrepreneur, adventurer & ultrarunner. Founder and Chief Geek at @geek_girl_tech
- Izabela Albrycht 💯 🇵🇱 @ialbrycht Prezes | Chairperson @IKosciuszki & Chair @CYBERSECEU Organising Committee. PL
- Alina Matyukhina @alinamatyukhina Cybersecurity researcher at Canadian Institute for Cybersecurity @cic_unb, PhD candidate @UNB Canada
- Joanna Świątkowska @jbswiatkowska @CYBERSECEU Programme Director, Senior Research Fellow for #cybersecurity at the Kosciuszko Institute @ECJournal private opinions. Poland
- Heather MacLean @MacLeanHeather Professor & Award-winning #MarComm Practitioner focused on #privacy #leadership fascinated by #IoT #cybersecurity Dog Lover Wannabe Chef -CMO @TaylorMadeWorks. Fredericton, NB
- Barbara Sztokfisz @BSztokfisz Economist. Research Fellow at @IKosciuszki; Managing @CYBERSECEU & @brainforai; #NewTechnologies for #EconomicDevelopment enthusiast. opinions are mine. Krakow, Poland
- Liisa Past @LiisaPast Systematically paranoid by trade. Sister, auntie, friend. #Cyber and risk. Solution to #allmalepanel. Views personal. Retweet ≠ endorsement. Estonia
- Magdalena Szwiec @SzwiecMagda Cyber security, CIS Security, cyber hygiene and awareness enthusiast. RT doesn’t mean endorsement. Norway/Belgium
- Karolina Kurzac @karolina_kurzac Marketing Manager at @PraimSrl. Passionate about new technologies, #IoT, #FutureOfWork, #Automation & #Alpacas. Enthusiastic traveller who seeks #adventures.
- Diana Peña @dpenacsilatam Key Account Manager at @csi_latam Cyber Security Intelligence and CyberHeroes #Awareness #Infosec #CISO #IoT #blockchain #pentest #cybersecurity #bitcoin. Latam
- Gabriela Dijkhoffz @GDijkhoffz @HackUCF | Aspiring Infosec | Writer for @Code_LikeAGirl 👩🏻💻 | 🇻🇪 | click below to read my latest article! Orlando, FL
- Veni Kunche @venikunche I curate @codewithveni 👩🏽💻. Working on @diversifytechco and @ionickits. Sr. Software Engineer @ USGS. @UWMadison alum. Madison ✈ Washington, DC
- Saron @saronyitbarek I wore a t-shirt to my wedding. Developer. Podcaster. Ethiopian. Host #CommandLinePod @redhat Founder @CodeNewbies. IG: saronyitbarek. San Diego, CA
- Nell Shamrell @nellshamrell Principal Software Development Engineer @chef. CTO @operation_code. Co-host @foodfightshow. Married to @penguin_tonk and proud mama of two beautiful bunnies! Seattle, WA
- Ali Kennedy @1happyrunner Marathon runner, company director, leader, parkrun volunteer, science geek, finance geek. Big fan of good cyber security and women in tech. London, Oxford and Glasgow
- Carmina Lees @CarminaLees Accenture, Managing Director. Living in Surrey with my husband and 2 daughters. passionate about cyber security and women in Tech. Views are my own. London
- Rebecca Taylor @racosky Evangelist for manufacturing and technology. Passionate for cyber security and data protection. Champion of women in technology. Washington DC
- Katambi Joan @kjoanhope Christian, Women and Girls in ICTs, Internet Governance, member ISOC,CyberSecurity,Advocate 4 STEM. Uganda, East Africa
- Suzanne Mello Stark @LetsTalkNerdy Studies election technology, cybersecurity, digital forensics. Ardent supporter of Women in Tech. My tweets are my own. Southern New England
- Cornelia Bade @BadeCornelia #Marketing professional @Deloitte #Switzerland all views & opinions are my own #WomenInCyber #film #travel. Zurich, Switzerland
- Jodi Chilson @threadbarepoet Doctoral candidate & GA in #edtech at #BoiseState; #cybersecurity #techwriter for @DXCTechnologies: #ThriveOnChange. Opinions mine. RT not endorsement. Idaho, USA
- Jan Carroll @ThePlanJan Information Security Consultant @wardsolutions – Lecturer @NCIRL – MSc – MEd – #womenintech Views me own. Co Meath, Ireland
- Sandra Maguire @SandraMaguire #EdTech #StartUps 1 of @TechnologyVoice/@IrishCentral 38 Tech Women 2014|@coolestprojects team|Founder @CoderDojoDL|@DojoCon 2016|Board @CoderDojoIRE|Veggie:) Dublin
- Amy Roberts @amy12amy my views, thoughts & ramblings. eternal optimist. champion for #WomenInCyber & good human beans. v comfy in front of a mic🎤 🎶💥 bungendore
- Alice Bacchelli Visocchi @itsaliceplusbv IR student – Research Trainee and Coordinator at Center for Cyber Security and International Relations Studies. Italy
- Dr. Maureen Mapp @MOMapp1 Teaches Law at the University of Birmingham Law School. Enthusiastic about Cyberlaw, Transnational Criminal law and the interplay with Human rights. England, United Kingdom
- Salena Worrall @SalenaWorrall Co-Founder of Zonafide: A Digital Wallet using blockchain & collaboration technology to ensure people’s Activities are secure from fraud and cybercrime. England, United Kingdom.
- NivuJej @nivujej PNW native | Cyber security professional currently in Washington D.C.
- Caitlin @caitlin_ffb Broadcast Journalism Graduate. Watch my three part series on Cyber Crime here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PI_BQ9IMuAw … 🎥 Salford, England
- Kendra Albert @KendraSerra One of those new-fangled technology lawyers at @cyberlawclinic. 🤘Feminism, crit. legal studies, DMCA 1201🤘 💜 They/them. 💜 Boston, MA
- Lindsay @cyber_hutch Cyber Analyst – Dog Lover – Ⓥ – Activist – Sustainable Living Enthusiast. San Antonio, TX
- Sheera Frenkel @sheeraf Cybersecurity reporter for the New York Times. Tell me a story: email@example.com San Francisco, CA
- Jeanette Manfra @jmmanfra Assistant Secretary for Cybersecurity and Communications @DHSgov and @cyber
- Laura Hamlyn @LauraHamlyn Director of the @redhat Content team. Graduate of @vcu_brandcenter master’s program (copywriting). Proud member of the @aigadesign ex-president’s club. The Triangle, NC
- Lauryn Landkrohn @LaurynHacks Novice at infosec and member of Hack@UCF. University, FL
- Sarah 🌟 @_sarahyo 🇬🇧🇳🇿 | Security Person | Speaker | Co-founder @allsecmel | InfoSec | Tech | Rainbow Alpacasso | Afternoon tea | Brunch | Nintendo | Tweetings are my own. Melbourne, Victoria
- Merrin Macleod @merxplat Developer, 2017-18 fellow at @codeforaus, made a @kiwirubyconf. My interests include dogs that look like clouds and clouds that look like dogs. Views mine. Wellington, New Zealand
- Claudia Martín @CLAVDIAmartin Copywriter: IT, Data Security, Law&Health. I love the Internet! Madrid
- Shakirat O. Raji @tosinraj Researcher|Cyber Security Enthusiast|YALI Fellow|Socialpreneur
- Leanne Darby @ConsultanciesUK Website Design | Cyber Security | Digital and Print Design | Custom CRM | Software Development https://www.facebook.com/darbyconsultancies …Burnley
- Karen @keaweb PCNW enthusiast, love the outdoors, working towards masters in cyber. seattle, wa
Do women make up only 11 percent of the cybersecurity workforce? Or, is the figure closer to 20 percent?
Cybercrime Magazine believes the number is so big that we’ll need a database to handle the chore. We’ll be back shortly with a powerful searchable directory of women in the cybersecurity field. Our weekly articles with the names of women in cyber will continue to be unstructured and make for a fun read – the database will bring structure and make it easy to search for names by keywords and phrases.
SEND US YOUR NAMES
While Twitter is hardly the only source to research names, our team has concluded it’s the best for this project. We may certainly expand the format, but for now a project of this sort is a huge undertaking and we need to stay focused.
We will be crowdsourcing names as part of our research and compilation. Do you want to participate? Get in touch with us here and we’ll explain how you can contribute names to the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field.
Many of you sent us names earlier this week. We are grateful for your contribution – and our team is processing them.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.
– Casey Morgan, a junior at St. Anthony’s High School in Huntington, N.Y., contributed research to this story.