16 Jul 345 Women In Cybersecurity To Follow On Twitter, New Names Won’t Stop!
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of its kind
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Sausalito, Calif. – Jul. 16, 2018
Cybercrime Magazine has 4 women in cyber – a researcher, a reporter, a journalist, and an editor – working on a project to publish the world’s largest list of women in cyber.
The compilation started on Jun. 26 with an inaugural list of 58 women in cybersecurity to follow on Twitter – including CISOs, IT security pros, cybersecurity company founders and CEOs, entrepreneurs, community organizers, investors, government workers, journalists, and more.
Our editors have been swarmed with inquiries from readers – giving us a collective thumbs-up, contributing names and Twitter handles, and encouraging us to keep it coming.
Cybercrime Magazine is planning to compile the world’s largest list of women in cyber. The number of names has gone from a few dozen to a few thousand in a matter of days.
We are pleased to announce that our team will be back to you on a regular basis (at least weekly, and sometimes more frequently) with new names to follow and share. The tally was up to 247 last week – and we’ve got another 98 this week, for a total of 345 to date.
98 WOMEN IN CYBER
The cybersecurity thought leaders we follow, and you should too:
- Danielle @KittyHawkSecure Founder of Hoodie Bee apparel and Kitty Hawk Security a cyber security. Costa Mesa, CA
- Cee @ceruleancee Coder | InfoSec | Tech | N00b | Earthling | Feminist | Vegetarian | Latina | Texan. Instagram: ceruleancee. Texas, USA
- Danielle A Kingsbury @missdkingsbury Founder of CyberSecPsych ||#Cybersecurity + #Psychology|| & Chief of Staff @BaronHunterGrp. Los Angeles, CA & Philadelphia, PA
- Michelle Nguyen @nguyenwin Superhero. They call me Storm. Protector of the cyber world, so same thing. Conscious living, startups, #GirlsinSTEM, #WomeninTech, @Eagles, Hokies, & hip hop.
- Cindy Valladares @cindyv Professional life juggler: Christian, blessed wife, cheerleader for 2 monkeys, hi-tech marketeer @TripwireInc, avid reader & traveler. Tweets are my opinions. Portland, OR
- Alexandria Farar @lexifarar #Cybersecurity professional with interests in #NetworkForensics, #ThreatHunting, #hacking, #deception, #ProjectHoneynet, #InfoSec, and #FireTigerLabs. Huntsville, AL
- Ellie @cryptoreo #Cryptography • Oreos • #Cybersecurity • Puzzles • Penetration Testing • #WomenInTech • Never stop learning | #GPEN tweets are my own
- Jen Havermann @Cyberjenny Technologist, autodidact, bibliophile, STEM and cybersecurity education advocate/volunteer. Suspicious/annoyed by cyber prefixes. My opinions here. Maryland
- Pensights @Pensights_Robin Reformed Idealist,Eternal Optimist. Background Novartis,AT&T- Infosec,AI,fintech,data,IoTrandom& wkends #ArtStarts-my opinions.TRUTH DOES NOT REQUIRE AGREEMENT. United States
- Grace Berry @G01000111 Ethical Hacking and Network Security student at Coventry University | Hacking, Payments, Compliance and Retail. 👩🏼💻❤️ Wales, United Kingdom
- Jessy Irwin ✨ @jessysaurusrex Ladygeek in the streets, sign bunnies in my tweets. Security Empress, taco evangelist, password truther. Always use your 2-raptor auth! 🦖🦖#infosec #dinosec, San Francisco, CA
- Leigh-Anne Galloway @L_AGalloway Cyber Security Lead @PTsecurity, award winning blogger, video maker, Dark Reading contributor, speaker at security conferences and all things payment related. United Kingdom
- Straithe @Straithe Computer Security and Privacy / Human-Robot Interaction Researcher. Described as a character from a William Gibson novel that has walked off the page.
- Rosemary Christian @RosemarysThyme Philadelphia Metro Area Cyber Security Consultant- Helping organizations stay secure is my day job, keeping up with all the cyber security trends is my hobby! Philadelphia, PA
- InfoSteph @StephandSec Woman. Tech Enthusiast. Aspiring Cyber Security Professional. A+, Net+ and Sec+ Certified. 127.0.0.1
- Laura Whitt-Winyard @L_WhittWinyard Global Chief Information Security Officer Opinions are my own. Nerd. DEFCON regular. Cubs fan. Security evangelist. Philadelphia, PA
- Marchi @MrsMarchi I Create Content #onLine .. #CyberSafety Advocate (especially for #kids). Australia
- Damira Pon 👩🏻💻 @damirapon #UAlbany #Bizschool Infosec & Digital Forensics | WomenInTech & #cybersec #DFIR advocate | Foodie | INTJ | lulz 😉 | Opinions=own, retweets!=agreement. New York, USA
- Damira Pon @DamiraUAlbBiz Dir. Student Srvcs / Academic Coordinator, Dept. of Info. Security & Digital Forensics @UAlbanyBusiness alt. account @damirapon for #infosec #DFIR #foodie info. Albany, NY
- Heather Burns @WebDevLaw Digital law and tech policy specialist at your service. Speaker, writer, wonk. Actually reads the Terms and Conditions. Co-founder of @_web_matters_. IANAL, FFS. GLA / MCR / EDI / LDN / etc
- Swati Khandelwal @Swati_THN Senior #Cybersecurity, #Privacy Reporter For @TheHackersNews | Got Tips? Contact me: email@example.com Planet Earth
- April C. Wright @aprilwright Endlessly-curious #Hacker, #infoSec Speaker/Author, @blackhatevents Trainer, #SDLC #Privacy #SE #GRC #orangeteam #purpleteam, @defcongroups core, @Defcon617. Boston, MA
- Neena @neenahyena information security analyst @nytimes • @TuftsUniversity alumni. New York, NY
- Bruny Champ @BrunyChamp Horticulture Kunoichi, Kayak, InfoSec, OpenData, Unix/Linux SysAdmin.
- Kate Temkin @ktemkin Hardware hacker & low-level engineer. I work on tools to help you do cool things (FaceDancer, GreatFET, GlitchKit), hack on HW, and make educational materials. Denver, CO
- Sonja Peteranderl @glocalreporting For hire. Former: Senior Editor @Wired_Germany. Global Politics, “Cyber”&Crime, OC, Latam/US/China. @SpiegelOnline,@ZeitOnline. Founder @BuzzingCities Lab. Here & There
- Amy Shell @AmyJuarez72 Cyber Crime Analyst, nerd, mom, lover, ally, person. woodland, ca
- Alice Jossan @alice_jossan Are you ready for the hottest cyber attack news? 😈#cyberattacks #cybersecurity also cats, tats and coffee lover ☕️
- Tracey Pretorius @traceypretorius Partner Driven, Customer-Obsessed, Cybersecurity + Cloud Strategy, Crisis Expert, Globetrotting Speaker, Director of Global Partner Business Strategy @Microsoft. Washington, USA
- Luana Pascu @Luana_Pascu Security Specialist @Bitdefender | IoT, Startups, NFC | Inbound Marketer. Opinions and tweets are my own. Bucharest
- Susan Bennett @Sibenco Principal – Sibenco Legal I Co-founder InfoGovANZ I Director – Ashgrove Cheese I #InfoGov #privacy #databreach #cyberattack #bigdata #AI #corporategovernance Sydney
- Jessica Payn @jepayneMSFT Security Person at Microsoft, currently in Windows Defender Security Research. Opinions are my own.
- Jessica Naziri @jessicanaziri On-air digital lifestyle and tech expert|Founder of http://TechSesh.co |Inc.’s 30 Inspirational Women in Tech|Breaking stereotypes #girlsintech|Alum @LATimes @CNN @CNBC Hello@TechSesh.co
- Chelsea E. Manning @xychelsea Network Security Expert. Fmr. Intel Analyst. Former Prisoner. Trans Woman. Make powerful people angry. Tweets are own opinions. Pronouns: she/her #WeGotThis Bethesda, Maryland
- Stephaine Mahan @StephaineLMahan Head of #Marketing for Futurial, Inc. Mother of 2. Tweets about #CyberSecurity, #IoT, #Robotics. A few glasses of wine won’t hurt! Hamilton, NY
- Sheila Jordan @SheilaJordan90 Symantec CIO responsible for driving global IT strategy & world class information infrastructure. Passion for collaboration: video, mobile, social. My views! Mountain View, California
- KATZCY Consulting (Jessica Gulick) @KATZCYLLC We help #tech firms grow. Reston, VA
- Veronique Loquet @vloquet I work w/ hackers & IT doers in Infosec & opensource. AL’X Agency founder. PGP Key http://bit.ly/1xyN5cr #cybersecurity #research Paris – France – bzh
- Jannine Mahone @JannineMahoneFS Compliance Ninja @ForeScout, Wife, avid reader, Woman in Tech, Caribbean Queen, cat lady😻. Views are my own. Texas, USA
- Gosia Fraser 🇵🇱 💯 🇬🇧 🇪🇺 @GosiaFraser Comments on #privacy, security, internet, media. @internetsociety and @ODIHQ member. Tech editor (PAP) • I write some code, too • Die Gedanken sind zollfrei. London (UK) / Gdańsk (PL)
- Kat Sweet @TheSweetKat SecOps analyst & pun architect at Duo, treblemaker, writer, knitter, BSidesLV lockpick co-lead. She/her. “A mystery, wrapped in an enigma, coated in chocolate.” Ann Arbor, MI
- Ashley Lish @CyberSecAsh IT yo! passion. hobby. life. career. CyberSec Student. CySA+ Sec+ MCITP and will fix computer for tacos. North Carolina, USA
- F. Charlene Watson @fcharlenewatson Cybersecurity/Risk “Saga” CRISC|CISSP|CISM|CEH|CSIS|CIOS Tallahassee, FL
- oᴙigiᴎAl 👾 ꙅYᴎ @emilymaxima Motherboard HOTY’17. Makes cyber brains. Aspiring ZTE saleswoman & Baidu evangelist. Desperately seeking missing shellcode. Disobedient Dissident. DC
- Anna Murray @apmurray123 President of @tmgemedia. Co-designer of Cookie Locator App, The Smarties 2012 Silver Global Winner. Lover of digital media. New York
- Eleanor Dallaway @InfosecEditor I’m Eleanor Dallaway, Editor of Infosecurity Magazine. Lover of weekends, animals, sauvignon blanc, seeing the world, sunsets, rainbows and the stars… Richmond, UK
- HollyGraceful @HollyGraceful InfoSec. Arms Dealer. Blogger. Vlogger. http://GracefulSecurity.com et al
- Miriam Wiesner @MiriamXyra Doing Security stuff @Microsoft, Passionate about #hacking and #security, tweets are my own
- HerRoyalHoeliness @RoyalHoeliness Engineer. INTJ. Socialist. Fitness. Keto. Métis. Horror Movie Maven. Crypto. Bug Bounty Enthusiast. Lift heavy or GTFO. IG/Medium: @RoyalHoeliness Twin Peaks
- Rainbow @Hacker_Horse @firehavenband vocalist. @FreeBSD contributor. Founded @SanityLinux. Former Director of Security & Infrastructure @PullRequestInc. Ex-Facebook Ops. Austin, TX
- Zoë Rose @5683Monkey Opinions are that of my ferret #CiscoChampion #SplunkArchitect #PasswordsCon #OSINT #CyberCyberCyber #FerretSecurity #EthicalHacker United Kingdom
- Chrissy Morgan @5w0rdFish @wisporg winner 18 | Bsides Rookie Track Winner 18 | Web Dev Sec 17 | Pragnan CTF finalist 16 | Cyber Security Challenge Winner 15 | BlackHat Challenge Coin 15 Fr13nds
- Jen Gentleman 🌺 @JenMsft Software Engineer, Community Manager & #WindowsInsider on Shell team @ Microsoft. I work w/ Windows feedback 4 Start, Action center, taskbar, Windows Ink + more Seattle, WA
- Tara Raj @tara_msft Program Manager @Microsoft. Windows Subsystem for Linux #WSLinux 💁🏽♀️ Views expressed are my own Seattle, WA
- Nina Lakharenko @nnja Cloud Developer Advocate @microsoft, software engineer, pythonista, & speaker. Team #emacs. Previously @reddit @meetup @recursecenter. Opinions my own. she/her Portland, OR
- erikaehrli 👩🏻💻 🐉 @erikaehrli1 Dir Tech Product Marketing @Microsoft. Visual Studio & Azure. Imagine & build demo apps in the best cloud. Mom of three. Hispanic woman in tech. #demoqueen Bellevue, WA
- Christina @divinetechygirl 👩🏽💻 Cloud & AI Security @Microsoft 🗽 Co-Lead @wisporg NYC 🙅🏽♀️ Passionate about Cybersec/InfoSec, Tech, People, Hip Hop & NYC ✊🏾 CoF @wocintechchat NYC
- Edaena Salinas 🇲🇽 @edaenas Software Engineer @Microsoft, Tech, Code, Art, Drawing, Food, Cats, Host @techwomenshow @seradio, tweets = my precioussss, previously: @Apple Seattle, WA
- Coraline Garrido @CoralineGarrid #Digital @Ztudium and @IntelligentHQ – My determination is certain and my ambitions have no limits. #Startup #FinTech #Blockchain London, England
- 🆔 Carina Birarda ®️ 🌎 @Caruchy RRII @BACSIRT / President @csgspace / Certified Trainer & Auditor @cert360 / 2 Vice ISOC @CyberSecSIG / Counselor Directory @CSA_Ar / Tech. Comm. @IGFArgentina Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Jane Ayres @jane_ayres12 CMO @OCSL_UK leading cloud services provider. Advisory Board Member HPE WW Marketing & Cloud28+. My personal views. Also good at shopping & travel. UK
- Cindy Segond von Banchet @CindySvB Regional Sales Manager BeNeLux @Flowmonnet • passionate about Cyber Security • golf player w/ hc 54 for life ⛳️#cybersecurity #womenincybersecurity #womenintech Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Maite Ortega @CSObservatory We research major cybersecurity innovation hubs in the world and share that insight https://www.linkedin.com/in/maite-ortegap#cybersecurity#innovation#financial …
- Sue Scheff @SueScheff Author & Cybersafety Advocate. Latest book, #ShameNation (foreword by @MonicaLewinsky) as seen on Dr. Oz. Featured on 20/20,Anderson Cooper,Katie Couric & more Florida and New York
- Mona Ghadiri @ghadirim #mentoring, #infosec, #inclusion, #diversity. proud #ladylover. Product Manager, @Forcepointsec, BA @grinnellcollege, MBA @geisbusiness. Thoughts are my own. Champaign, IL
- The Cyber Safety Lady @LeonieGSmith Cyber Safety – Educator – Speaker – Gamer – Tech Head – Cat Lady – Jazz Singer – Author of Keeping Kids Safe Online Australia
- Lillian Pierson, PE @BigDataGal 🇺🇸 Data Strategist, Trainer & Biz Coach to Tech Professionals. Tweets on #BigData #AI #IoT #WIT →Want to build your own profitable business? Join for FREE↓
- Kirra Pendergast @SafeOn_Social Director Safe on Social Media. Educator & Public Speaker – Cybersafety. Certified by Office eSafety Commissioner. Photographer/Owner – Common Ground Byron Bay. Byron Bay, New South Wales
- Parry Aftab @parryaftab Digital Privacy & Cybersecurity Lawyer. Founder StopCyberbullying, WiredSafety, WiredTrust, & Cybersafety India, Author, Keynote Speaker and Advisor. Global
- Fiona Jennings @FMJennings Wks @ISPCCChildline #ChildRights #ChildProtection #DataProtection #CyberSafety #SocialJustice #MentalHealth #Disability @MayoGAA 💚❤ @BPWGalway views=mine Mayo / Galway Ireland
- Asher Wolf @Asher_Wolf Cryptoparty founder. Journo. Amnesty award winner. Words: https://medium.com/@Asher_Wolf Melbourne, Australia
- Christina Schloter @cschloter @Siemens. Talking about #bigdata #AI #industry40 #digitalization #cybersecurity #analytics. Passion for #socialmedia #IoT. Views are my own. Always 😉 Erlangen, Deutschland
- Iva Tasheva @Iva_Tasheva #Privacy #Cybersecurity now @DIGITALEUROPE earlier @epc_eu; Core team @bxlbinder; technology enthusiast; dog person, tweeting my personal views only. Brussels, Belgium
- Paula Piccard 🇺🇸 🇵🇷 @Paula_Piccard Proud #Startup Owner. Multilingual #NewYork-er. #WomeninTech & #Cybersecurity Advocate. #DigitalMarketing Guru & #SocialMedia #Influencer. @Spotrus_ New York, USA
- Katie Shuck @KatieShuck Nonprofit leader turned Cyber Operations student. #Blockchain believer. Blogger of #parenting #travel #milspouse #mamalaws topics. #cybersecurity #juniorleague South Dakota, USA
- Charlotte Tschider @cybersimplesec Jaharis Faculty Fellow in Health & #IP Law @DePaulLaw @DePaulHealthLaw @DePaulIP; #AI, #Cybersecurity & #Privacy Law; Fulbright; eng/français; not your lawyer. Chicago, IL & Minneapolis, MN
- Lori Tripoli @LegallyLori Writer/editor with JD covering law biz & legal news incl cybersecurity, privacy, anti-corruption, compliance. ASJA. New York, NY
- Roberta Anderson @RobertaEsq Enterprise/Mgmt Liability,Insurance Recovery, Cybersecurity,Privacy,Data Protection Attorney; Mommy,Singer,Pianist,Equestrian,Ski, Scuba,Travel&Photography Lover
- Rebecca HughesParker @RHughesParker Global Editor in Chief, @CyberLawReport & @AntiCorruptRpt part of @AcurisGlobal; attorney; ice skater; mom of twins plus 1; ravenous reader. Port Washington, NY
- Emily Helmke @emhelmke Management consultant @BoozAllen focused on #Cyber. Passionate about women’s leadership & education. Lover of travel, fashion & all things New York. New York, NY
- Georgia D Reid @GeorgiaDReid1 Staff Writer and Podcast Host at Cybercrime Magazine, the world’s most trusted source for cybersecurity facts and news #womenintech @CyberSecuritySF New York, USA
- BlackRoomSec @blackroomsec Name = Tara. I’m a white-hat hacker/pentester. Intergalactic Minesweeper Champion 1990. Hacking is not a hobby but a way of life. #SmashTheStack #FunDipForAll New York, USA
- Lydia Ragoonanan @LydiaRagoonanan Innovation geek and creative dork. Director at the London Cyber Innovation Centre @Plexalcity. Alum @nesta_uk & NZ Transport Agency Opinions are my own. London
- Bethany Smith @bethany_smith American girl in the UK. work @Eskenzi PR. Tweet all things #infosec Hemel Hempstead
- Amy French @French04A Head of Ecosystem @Level39CW. Tweeting about #cyber and #fintech. Usually found eating a cookie. London
- Irra Ariella Khi @irra_k Secret keeper | CEO VChain Tech | Myla’s mama | personal opinions only – public account is @VchainTech. London
- Claire Doyle @Atkins_ClaireD Marketing and Communications Manager within Atkins Aerospace, Defence, Security & Defence division, with a focus on #cyber security
- Christine Corbett M. @corbett Cyber Defense Research & Europa Clipper Engineering @NASAJPL, Astrophysics @Caltech. Past: @SpaceX, @MIT, @SignalApp, @SPTelescope. Science @astro_corbett Pasadena, CA
- Hillary Vaughn @hillary__vaughn @FOXBusiness Correspondent | Los Angeles | Tech – Cyber – Politics – Biz | inbox: firstname.lastname@example.org | DM for Signal Los Angeles, CA
- Jules Okafor, JD @julesmgmt Mom. Wife. Daughter. Cyber Risk Junkie. Diversity Queen. Washington, DC
- Raluca Ada Popa @ralucaadapopa Computer security professor @UCBerkeley. Building secure systems and developing new crypto. RISELab co-founder @ucbrise. PreVeil co-founder and CTO. Berkeley, CA
- Jean Yang @jeanqasaur Programming languages, security, and privacy. Assistant Professor @SCSatCMU. Co-founded @cybersecfactory. Pittsburgh, PA
- Anna Lysyanskaya @AnnaLysyanskaya CS Prof @ Brown. Crypto, especially privacy-preserving protocols, such as anonymous credentials.
- Sadia Afroz @sheetal57 Researcher at ICSI. I work in security, privacy and machine learning. Berkeley, CA
- Christy Wyatt @christywyatt CEO @DtexSystems Board Director @Centrify Passionate about high performance teams and transformational tech. Mother. Wife. Skier. Hockey fan. California
- Olivia Beavers @Olivia_Beavers Cybersecurity reporter @TheHill. @CNN prev. @UVA Wahoo. Paid to pry. Almost funny sources say… Tips? DM 4 Signal + obeavers@thehill(dot)com. RTs ≠endorsements Washington, DC
- Siobhan Climer @techtalksio Tech Writer and blogger. Proud #womenintech writing about #cybersecurity, #IT, #cloud, #DR #IoT #technews. Views my own. Illinois, USA
- Suzanne Spaulding @SpauldingSez Former DHS Under Secretary for cyber and infrastructure protection. Senior Advisor for Homeland Security and International Security Program at CSIS Washington DC
Do women make up only 11 percent of the cybersecurity workforce? Or, is the figure closer to 20 percent?
Cybercrime Magazine believes the number is so big that we’ll need a database to handle the chore. We’ll be back shortly with a powerful searchable directory of women in the cybersecurity field. Our weekly articles with the names of women in cyber will continue to be unstructured and make for a fun read – the database will bring structure and make it easy to search for names by keywords and phrases.
SEND US YOUR NAMES
While Twitter is hardly the only source to research names, our team has concluded it’s the best for this project. We may certainly expand the format, but for now a project of this sort is a huge undertaking and we need to stay focused.
We will be crowdsourcing names as part of our research and compilation. Do you want to participate? Get in touch with us here and we’ll explain how you can contribute names to the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field.
Many of you sent us names earlier this week. We are grateful for your contribution – and our team is processing them.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.
– Casey Morgan, a junior at St. Anthony’s High School in Huntington, N.Y., contributed research to this story.