26 Jun 58 Women In Cybersecurity To Follow On Twitter, And More Names On The Way
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of its kind
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Sausalito, Calif. – Jun. 26, 2018
Cybercrime Magazine has 4 women in cyber – a researcher, a reporter, a journalist, and an editor – working on a project to publish the world’s largest list of women in cyber.
The compilation started yesterday, which resulted in a list of 58 women in the cybersecurity field – including CISOs, IT security pros, cybersecurity company founders and CEOs, entrepreneurs, community organizers, investors, government workers, journalists, and more.
The first 58 have no rhyme or reason. After discussing the project, our own women in cyber were so charged up that they dove into Twitter, conducted searches, reviewed profiles, and logged the names.
Cybercrime Magazine is planning to compile the world’s largest list of women in cyber. As this blog is being written, the author is looking at napkin scratch that says the tally is now well into the hundreds of names. Knowing our team, that will surely climb into the thousands very quickly.
While Twitter is hardly the only source to research names, our team has concluded it’s the best for this project.
58 WOMEN IN CYBER
In the beginning, there were 58:
- Olayinka @PlusTouCEO Entrepreneur. Analytical. Co-Founder of PlusTou #Startup (connections based on common interests). Cybersecurity expert, Blockchain enthusiast Washington, DC
- Jo Peterson @digitalcloudgal VP Cloud| IT Optimization and Strategic Sourcing in #Cloud and #Cybersecurity for #CIOs and teams| Female Tech Champion| @gocloudgirls| Next Event: #GoogleNext California, USA
- Joanna Wlazlak @joannawlazlak Operations in #tech & #cybersecurity startups with #makethingshappen 🤩 attitude & #photography in the meantime ☕ London
- Lynwen Connick @LynwenConnick Chief Information Security Officer at Australia and New Zealand banking group(ANZ) Loves Travelling, Skiing, Mountain Biking & Orienteering retweets≠endorsement Australia
- Ashley Larson @ashleylarsonVC Growth Equity investor @Revolution in #cybersecurity and #software companies that change the world. #DCTech #WomeninVC #RiseofRest DC Metro Area
- Sandra Ragg @SandraRagg Cyber Security Executive @CyberGovAu, Strategic Adviser & Speaker. Passionate about creating a secure online society, #womenincyber, food, shoes & AFL football
- Gai Brodtmann @GaiBrodtmannMP Federal Member for Canberra, Shadow Assistant Minister for Cyber Security and Defence Canberra
- Michelle Price @Mich11775 Chief Executive Officer @AustCyber #ozcyber #gameon Part time minder @Cyber_Roo Australia
- Rachael Falk @rachael_falk CEO of Cyber Security Research Centre @acsri_org_au Australian Capital Territory
- Jacqui Loustau @jacquiloustau Passionate about building a cyber safe and green environment savvy society. Tweets are my own and not of my company.
- DM Hutchinson @CISO_Advantage Just a girl who decided to go for it…all opinions are my own. I’m also a practical security pro advising executives and boards on cyber security strategy. United States
- Katie Moussouris @k8em0 Founder/CEO @lutasecurity . Bug bounty & vuln disclosure pioneer. ISO editor. Hacker. MIT Sloan visiting scholar. New America Fellow. Harvard Belfer affiliate.
- Elena Elkina @el0chka Privacy and Data Protection Geek | Public Speaker | Co-founder, Women in Security and Privacy | Board Member, Leading Women in Technology | Partner, Aleada San Francisco, CA
- Niloofar Razi Howe @NiloofarHowe SVP Strategy & Ops, Chief Strategy Officer @RSAsecurity , Op Partner @Paladincap, Board member @IREXintl, @Sibleyhospital, hockey & football mom, learning nut Washington DC
- Jen Firbank @jenhelfir Chief of Staff to Telstra CISO APAC @Berinlautenbach – Telstra Cyber Security. All views are my own. Canberra
- Alexandra Maniati @alexmaniati Senior Policy Adviser for Cybersecurity, Digital Skills & Social Affairs @EBFeu | Interested in digital & financial education, travelling, arts. Personal views. Brussel, België
- Shira Rubinoff @Shirastweet #Cybersecurity & #Blockchain #Advisor, Thought-Leader & #Speaker. Top ranked #Influencer globally in #cybersecurity President @SecureMySocial & @PrimeTechPtr New York, NY
- Kim Muro @WorldTrendsInfo #Innovation CIO • #BigData #Cloud #SaaS Leader • Future of #Digital #MobileFirst • Interested in #VR + #AR • #WomenInTech Building #IoT New York, USA
- Erica Coleman @EricaLColeman Marketing and communications professional working in cyber security @Infoblox. Enjoys travel, wine and spending time with family. Silicon Valley
- Joanna Shields @joannashields CEO of @benevolent_ai. Former UK Minister for Internet Safety & Security. Founder of @WePROTECT. United Kingdom
- Kim Crawley @kim_crawley Cybersecurity writer 4 @TripwireInc, @cylanceinc, @ccsinet, @alienvault, @Venafi, @comododesktop, @Peerlyst. Drummer + goth chick. In 🖤 with @Schizoid_DTRASH Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Magda Chelly @m49D4ch3lly Cyberfeminist and founder of Woman In Cyber | MD @R3sp_Cyb3r | PhD, CISSP | Cyber Passionate #cybersecurity #womanincyber #cyber http://www.woman-in-cyber.com
- Karen E @k3r3n3 Geek Pride 🌈. Cyber Punk. @ICRCTau Fellow. Friendly Hacker. @bsidestlv Founder. @SingularityU Faculty. @TEDtalks Speaker : http://www.ted.com/talks/keren_elazari_hackers_the_internet_s_immune_system/ … TLV / up in the air
- Tarah M. Wheeler @tarah @Splunk Sr Director, Data Trust & Threat+Vuln Mgmt♠️@NewAmCyber Fellow♦️#WomenInTechBook♥️Married to @deviantollam♣️My opinions are unassailably elegant.
- Eva @evacide Director of Cybersecurity @EFF/ Tech advisor at @freedomofpress/ My tweets are my own /PGP key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/05/02/evagalperin.txt …
- Theresa Payton @TrackerPayton CEO @FortaliceLLC | Cybersecurity & Intelligence Specialists | TV @HuntedCBS Team | Speaker – @KepplerSpeakers | Passionate about protecting companies & people
- Gabrielle @Gabrielle_BGB Blogger in cybersec / #EthicalHacker (challenge) / Creator of meetups for women in #cybersec and #infosec in Paris (coming soon). Paris, France
- Esther van Luit @EsthervanLuit Senior security advisor @DeloitteNL | Techionista TechFavorite2018 | Cybersecurity Workforce Development | Women&Security | Conference Speaker | My views only
- Andrea L Limbago @limbagoa Geopolitics & cybersecurity, data science, women in tech, quant social scientist, polisci PhD
- Ruby Maduka @Adannie_ Women Advocate.| I speak Java.| MSc Cyber security.| Risk Analyst and Ethical Hacker| Programmer.| 2Corinthians 5:15 Birmingham, England
- Lillian Ablon @LilyAblon Technology & Policy Researcher @RANDCorporation: Cybersecurity; Emerging Technology; Women in STEM; Social Engineering (#SECTF DEFCON Black Badge)
- Cari Guittard @CorpDiplomat Global Engagement, Corporate Diplomacy, Geopolitical Risk, Tri-Sector Engagement, Cyber Security, & Women’s Leadership San Francisco, CA
- Eepica @eepica Cyber Security. Media Relations Coordinador for Women in AppSec OWASP. Sharing news on #eepicNews Tweets here do not represent my employer.
- Becky Pinkard @BeckyPinkard Cyber security executive, published author and professional speaker. I do security because I love it. 2016 Security Champion of the Year, Women in IT Awards London, UK
- Francesca Spidalieri @Francesca_cyber Sr Fellow for Cyber Leadership @PellCenter, Research Assistant @UniLUISS, TDD Fellow @NewAmerica & @GPPi, Co-PI @CyberReadyIndex, @FletcherSchool alumna. Italy
- Rashmi Knowles @KnowlesRashmi Chief Security Architect for EMEA & Thought Leader for RSA, the Security Division of EMC London
- Kim Zetter @KimZetter Journalist – cybersecurity/national security. Author of COUNTDOWN TO ZERO DAY: Stuxnet and the Launch of the World’s First Digital Weapon. Speaker. Signal user. San Francisco
- Jess @drjessicabarker The human nature of cyber security. Consulting, researching, writing, speaking (with the odd cup of tea). Also tweets as @cyberdotuk. Co-Founder @redactedfirm.
- Maxine Bulmer @maxine_bulmer Wife, Mother, Cyber Security Director at CGI IT UK Ltd, partner @MBulmerPhoto (Views / posts are purely my own & do not reflect the opinions of CGI)
- Jane Frankland @JaneFrankland Cybersecurity entrepreneur, speaker, CISO advisor & top 50 market influencer. Get my book, IN Security, it’s an Amazon best seller: http://bit.ly/1Wq9R0Y London, United Kingdom
- Dr. Victoria Baines @cyberbaines Speaker and author on cyber security and human factors, child online protection. Observer of tech and governments. Former Facebooker and Europol officer. United Kingdom
- Kate O’Flaherty @KateOflaherty Freelance technology journalist. Cyber security and telecoms. @SCMagazineUK, @guardian, @Forbes, @mobileeurope. Contact: email@example.com Edenbridge, South East
- Melissa Sorrentino @mel_sorrentino #TechnologyEvangelist #GDPR #IoT #AI #CyberSecurity #VR #Hosting #WomenInWireless #BigData #MachineLearning #WirelessWomen #IoT #DataDrivenInsights #SmartCities. Atlanta, Georgia
- Marian Merritt @marianmerritt NICE/NIST, LA tourism fan. #Cybersecurity. #Workforce. Tweets reflect my own opinion. Los Angeles, CA
- Lisa Kendall @Lisa_CyberSN Marketing and Media Manager @Cyber_SN. @brain_babe Ambassador. Sticker addict. #womenincybersecurity #womenintech #nonprofits http://linkedin.com/in/lisakendall/ Los Angeles Area, CA
- Elizabeth Kolade @CyberWura CyberWura|Tech enthusiast|Cyber security| Responsible digital citizen| #31Status| #STEMAdvocate| #JesusFreak |#STEMGirlsRock😃💃
- Sarah Edwards @Sarah_Edwards_ MD of @CapNetSols Top 10 Women in Welsh Tech Award winner. Lover of Cyber Security, Tech, Cruising & Lurchers. A passionate believer that anything is possible. Cardiff
- Rhea Naidoo @Engineer_Chic Cybersecurity consultant at McKinsey &. co. Blogger. Advocate for women in technical fields. Vegan. Still sustainable. Still chic. http://www.EngineerChic.com San Francisco, CA
- Rosanna Kurrer @rosannakurrer Cybersecurity Entreupreneur | Promoting Career Transitions for Women into Cybersecurity. http://linkedin.com/in/rosannakurrer …Brussels, Belgium
- Lynda Grindstaff @lyndagrindstaff Cybersecurity executive who is passionate about women’s leadership topics, and women in engineering. Thoughts and comments expressed are my own.
- Marjolijn Bonthuis @MarBonthuis ECP Platform for the information society; NLIGF coordinator; proud winner of the woman of the year Award, Women in Cyber Security (WiCS) 2016
- Amany Alshawi @AmanyAlshawi Chair, KACST Women Program, Researcher, National Center for Cyber Security Technology. Riyadh
- Jo Ling Kent @jolingkent NBC News Correspondent @NBCNightlyNews, @TODAYshow, @MSNBC. Covering business, tech, economy, cyber security, media, China etc. Minnesotan. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hannah Kuchler @hannahkuchler FT reporter covering Facebook, social media, disinformation, cyber security, trouble online. Signal: 4153740969. PGP:F6F7278275DA8AFDB6066143A1BB618F5E27451D San Francisco
- Andrea Stroppa @Andst7 curious observer and Renaissance fan since 1994. cyber security on @wef , volunteer with extraordinary guys. “E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle”
- Marta Serafini @martaserafini italian journalist foreign desk @corriere @La27ora. Last Book: Maria Giulia che divenne Fatima. Terrorism, Isis, cyber security and Middle East Threema 9F6VJU3V. Milan
- Stacy Jones @stacyannj Data science + cyber security 🤓 NJ
- Maya @MayaOfSansar Information Security Director-Linden Lab. Speaker n advocate 4 Women in #CyberSecurity #VR #InfoSec #fintech Shedding light on #CyberPoliticalEngineering. San Francisco, California
- Barrett Sellers @Bsellers75 Cybersecurity Sales & Channel Enablement, Writer, Advocate for Women in Security. @arbornetworks @NETSCOUT #womenontheirway
Do women make up only 11 percent of the cybersecurity workforce? Or, is the figure closer to 20 percent?
Cybercrime Magazine believes the number is so big that we’ll need a database to handle the chore. This blog post is the last static list on the topic that readers will see from us. We’ll be back shortly with a powerful database driven searchable directory of women in the cybersecurity field.
SEND US YOUR NAMES
We will be crowdsourcing names as part of our research and compilation. Do you want to participate? Get in touch with us here and we’ll explain how you can contribute names to the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.
– Casey Morgan, a junior at St. Anthony’s High School in Huntington, N.Y., contributed research to this story.