25 Oct Weekly Rundown: 5 Top Tips For Women Changing Careers Into Cybersecurity
News and resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cybersecurity
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Northport, N.Y. – Oct. 25, 2018
The cybersecurity stories we’re following this week, and you should too:
- 5 top tips for women entering the cybersecurity field, from the creator of Learn To Code With Me.
- Why cybersecurity career journeys need to start from an early age.
- Why freelancers need website security to protect against cyber intrusions and data breaches.
- IT security skills remain red hot, but just how many security positions are open now? And what do top security pros earn?
- Tackling cyber threats means a chance for investors to capitalize on the growth of the cybersecurity sector.
- White House and DHS issue new report raising warnings about raising a “world-class cybersecurity workforce.”
- The City of West Haven, Conn. paid anonymous perpetrators of a cyberattack $2,000 to unlock 23 servers and restore access to data.
- Study finds 70 percent of cybersecurity decision makers do not have the staff or necessary resources to monitor all cybersecurity threats they face.
- Why there is such a massive demand for cybersecurity skills, what career options are available to beginners, how and where to get started.
- The top 5 cybersecurity facts, figures, predictions and statistics for 2018.
Tracey Pretorius of Microsoft, Cybersecurity Thought Leader, Tells Her Story.
Cyber alerts from AlienVault Open Threat Exchange (OTX) — The world’s first truly open threat intelligence community:
- Chalubo botnet wants to DDoS from your server or IoT device.
- Banking Trojans continue to surface on Google Play.
- sLoad and Ramnit pairing in sustained campaigns against UK and Italy.
- Malware Targeting Brazil Uses Legitimate Windows Components WMI and CertUtil as Part of its Routine.
- Cobalt Strike targeting Ukrainian Telecoms
Join OTX for free to share your threat research and subscribe to other contributors.
– Curated by the Editors at Cybercrime Magazine
Community resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cyber:
- Quarterly cybercrime diary of data breaches and cyberattacks
- Hack blotter with cybercriminal Investigations, arrests and convictions
- 20 cybersecurity experts to follow on Twitter for crowd-sourced opinions and insights
- Cybersecurity events calendar featuring conferences and expos globally
- Big list of hacker and cybersecurity movies from 1969 to present
Check back every Thursday for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!