20 Jun Daily Rundown: U.S. Most Cyber Exposed, DoD On Drones, 40,000 New Cyberattacks
Cybersecurity news, odds and ends from Cybercrime Magazine
– Kerry Morgan, Cybercrime Reporter
Northport, N.Y. — Jun. 20, 2018
TODAY IN CYBER
The cybercrime stories we’re following, and you should too:
- Rapid7 CEO speaks on cyber exposure “it’s a societal issue” — U.S. found to be the most cyber exposed country on the 2018 National Exposure Index.
- Trump-Kim summit gave rise to 40,000 cyberattacks on Singapore in 2 days with 88 percent of the attacks coming from Russia.
- Cybersecurity company CrowdStrike announces new funding round of $200 million, boosting their valuation to over $3 billion.
- Illinois takes initiative in election security — county clerks and election managers will attend a federally funded cybersecurity training session this week in Bloomington.
- DHS’s cyber strategy is evolving — adapting their approach to managing cyber risk.
- DoD Inspector General reannounces audit objectives in investigating cybersecurity risks regarding drones.
- Cybersecurity employees’ lack of commitment to their job may pose a threat to the industry as jobs continue to go unfilled.
VICE Media sends Ben Ferguson to Tel Aviv to examine the advancements and investments Israel has made in becoming one of the leading cyber powers in the world — and how their military ties in.
They said it, and it’s worth repeating:
“My message to companies that think they haven’t been attacked is: ‘You’re not looking hard enough.’”
— James Snook, Deputy Director, UK Office for Cyber Security
Cybersecurity conferences and expos:
Aug. 20-23. TechNet 2018, Augusta, Ga. Tech experts and the U.S. Army Cyber Center of Excellence get together to talk cyber education, business opportunities, government and military challenges, and overall global cybersecurity advancement.
Cyber terms for newbies, students, teachers, IT pros and everyone else:
Our editors’ picks for the best hacking and cybercrime movies:
1984 — Cloak and Dagger — When 11-year-old Davey sees the murder of an FBI agent, the dying man hands him an Atari video game cartridge with military secrets. With Dabney Coleman.
Books that arm readers in the war against cybercrime:
Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World’s Most Wanted Hacker by Kevin Mitnick. A must read from top security consultant and Chief Hacking Officer at KnowBe4.
Looking for cybersecurity lists? We’ve got a new one every day:
The 2018 Directory of M.S. In Cybersecurity Programs at Universities In the U.S. Includes online programs. Excellent resource for educators, parents, students, tech and infosec workers.
Top cybersecurity experts sharing their insights on social media:
Check back each business day for a new edition of the Daily Rundown!
– Kerry Morgan is a Cybercrime Reporter for Cybercrime Magazine.