01 Mar The Hot 150 Cybersecurity Companies To Watch In 2020
Annual list of the world’s hottest pure-play cybersecurity companies Sponsored by FutureCon
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Boston, Mass. – Oct. 9, 2019
The Hot 150 can be seen at Cybersecurity150.com.
Thousands of startups have been formed over the past decade to focus on combating cybercrime, which is expected to cost the world $6 trillion annually by 2021 – up from $3 trillion in 2015. The Hot 150 features the most innovative companies in this market.
The list consists of pure-play companies focused exclusively or primarily on cybersecurity.
The Hot 150 selection criteria includes some or all of the items below for each company:
- Cybersecurity Sector (market category)
- Problem(s) Solved
- Feedback from CISOs and Decision Makers
- Feedback from IT Security Evaluators & Recommenders
- Feedback from VARs, SIs and Consultants
- Venture Capital Raised
- Founder and Management Pedigree
- Company Growth (Revenues and Employees)
- Recognized as a Best Place to Work
- Customer Base and Notable Wins / Implementations
- Channel Programs
- Published Product, Technology, and Services Reviews
- Demos and Presentations at Conferences
- Media Coverage
- Social Media Followers and Engagement
- Research, Reports, and Surveys Published
Where are the Hot 150 companies located? Our editors break it down for you.
- The U.S. has 112 companies listed.
- There are 38 international (non-U.S.) companies. Israel, the world’s no. 2 exporter of cyber technology, leads the way with 18 companies. The UK has 7, and Canada has 5.
- Domestically, California has 50 companies named — which is 33 percent of the entire list. It’s no surprise that nearly all of them are in or near Silicon Valley — the epicenter of VC firms that invest into cybersecurity startups.
- San Francisco alone totals 12 companies, the most of any city. San Jose trails with 7, and Santa Clara is right behind with 6. Sunnyvale has 6, and Mountain View counts 4.
- Virginia and Maryland have 6 apiece, with 1 in D.C. to complete the region.
- Massachusetts tallies 11 companies, 4 of which are in Boston and the rest in close proximity.
- New York has 10 companies on the list, all of them in the Big Apple.
- Washington brings 5 companies, with 4 of them in Seattle.
- Colorado is home to 5 companies, with 3 of them in Denver.
- Texas features 4 companies, with 3 of them in Austin.
- Georgia has 4 companies on the list, and 3 of them are in Atlanta.
The companies listed below have received the special distinction of Editors’ Choice in their respective categories from Cybercrime Magazine.
- KnowBe4 for Security Awareness Training
- Herjavec Group for MSSPs (Managed Security Service Providers)
- RSA for Risk Management
- Thycotic for Privileged Access Management
- Blackberry for IoT Security
- Dragos for Industrial Control Systems Cybersecurity
- HackerOne for Bug Bounty Program Management
- Avast for Consumer Security
Cybercrime Magazine will be publishing a new special section featuring editorial coverage on the Hot 150 companies beginning this month.
In Q1 2020, we will release annual lists featuring hot cybersecurity companies by market sector, location, and others.
The Hot 150 is not a pay-to-play list. Every company has been selected based exclusively on merit.
NOTE: Most, but not all of the companies on the Hot 150 are product and/or platform companies which have raised venture capital. There are vibrant cybersecurity communities in numerous cities and states such as Maryland, San Antonio, San Diego, and others which are home to many cybersecurity professional services companies, as well as product startups. The intention of our list is not to imply that any region is lacking due to the number of companies named.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.