14 Sep 857 Women In Cybersecurity We Follow On Twitter, And You Should Too
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of its kind. See the list
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Sausalito, Calif. – Sep. 14, 2018
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field. The tally was up to 772 last week — and we’ve got another 85 this week, for a total of 857 to date.
Before we get to the latest list, here’s an insightful quote that was provided to our Managing Editor, Georgia Reid, in a recent story she wrote.
“When I think about how we often present STEM to young people today, I think we miss out on explaining the coolness of it,” says Dr. Alissa Johnson (a.k.a. Dr. Jay), former Deputy CIO for The White House, and now VP / Chief Information Security Officer for Xerox. “I often ask young people, ‘How many of you have secrets that you don’t want anyone else to know? What if I told you I could figure it out with math?’ Cybersecurity is about protecting and how to get to secrets. I think that could make it more attractive to young people today.”
Now, for the new names you’ve been waiting for…
85 WOMEN IN CYBER
- Adrienne Porter Felt @__apf__ Engineer & manager @googlechrome. 🇺🇸🇨🇷
- Alina Oprea @AlinaMOprea Security researcher and CS professor at @Northeastern. Interested in machine learning for security, cloud security and applied crypto. Boston, MA
- April Lorenzen @april_lorenzen April Lorenzen #ZETAlytics | #dataScientist | #DNS | #Security | Massive passive DNS data is what I comb daily Rhode Island, USA
- Amanda Rousseau @malwareunicorn Malware Research Unicorn @EndgameInc. Interested in Malware, Reverse Engineering, and Fashion. DEF CON. My thoughts are my own. @VanitySec Creator San Francisco, CA
- Ambareen Siraj @ambareensiraj Associate Professor, Computer Science, Tennessee Tech Cookeville, TN
- Annie Anton @GT_AnnieAnton #POTUS #Commission on Enhancing National #Cybersecurity #privacy
- Dr. Bhavani @CyberUTD Executive Director of The Cyber Security Research and Education Institute. Dallas, Texas
- Carmela Troncoso @carmelatroncoso I am an assistant Professor at EPFL working on Security and Privacy. This is my private account, so here you will only find my opinions
- Christina Garman @CryptoGPS Christina Garman (not the GARMIN GPS). Assistant professor at Purdue University interested in cryptography and security.
- Cristina Serban @ciserban Curious marketer interested in #machinelearning #internetofthings #artificialintelligence
- Daniela Seabra Oliveira @dseabraoliveira Mother, daughter, wife, friend, dog lover, security professor @ECEflorida @uf_fics, Brazilian by birth, American by choice. Gainesville, FL
- deborahestrin @deborahestrin Professor of #ComputerScience @Cornell_Tech | Director smalldata.io and Health tech hub] Co-founder http://www.openmhealth.org New York City
- Diana Burley @dianaburley Washington, DC
- Elaine Shi @ElaineRShi Professor @Cornell | Published the first peer-reviewed papers on Bitcoin & decentralized smart contracts | Cranberry Melon PhD | Co-Founder @ThunderProtocol
- Emilee Rader @bierdoctor Assistant Professor in the Department of Media and Information at Michigan State University
- Dr. Heather Crawford @heathercrawfrd Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Engineering and Sciences, Florida Institute of Technology. Florida
- Jelena Mirkovic @sunshinejelena Researcher at USC/ISI…dreamer at heart Los Angeles, CA
- Dr. Jen Golbeck @jengolbeck Prof @ UMD, Computer Scientist. Social media, research, science, truth, justice, the American way. I also run @theGoldenRatio4 College Park, MD
- Dr. Jessica Vitak @jvitak Assistant Prof @ischoolUMD & @hcil_umd. Research social media, networked privacy, security, ethics. HCI/CMC/CSCW. DMs open. See http://pearl.umd.edu . Maryland
- Jody R. Westby @jodywestby CEO, Global Cyber Risk LLC, chair ABA Privacy & Computer Crime Committee, author, Forbes blogger, specialist in privacy, security, cybercrime, IT governance. Washington, DC
- Kami Vaniea @kaniea Human factors of privacy and security researcher. Making security and privacy tools easier to use. Recently interested in usability of software updates. Edinburgh, Scotland
- Laura Dabbish @dabbish associate professor, carnegie mellon university – HCI institute & heinz college – social tech + new forms of work Pittsburgh, PA
- Laura Brandimarte @thefirstred Assistant Prof at U of Arizona, mainly interested in privacy and behavioral econ, pro tennis player wanna-be, motoGP enthusiast, but above all C&G’s daughter
- Laurie Williams @lauriewilliams Professor of Computer Science North Carolina State University Raleigh, NC USA
- Lorrie Cranor @lorrietweet Password researcher & fashion idol. Bad-ass cyberfeminist. Usable privacy & security prof. Quilter. Runs after 3 kids + soccer balls. Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- Lorie Liebrock @lmliebrock
- Marie Vasek @mjvasek Assistant prof @ U New Mexico. Co-Director @ StopBadware. Wellesley grad. USA
- Maria Dubovitskaya @m_dubovitskaya Crypto & Privacy researcher. Dancing and coffee addict. Views are my own. IBM Research – Zurich
- Maritza Johnson @maritza_johnson Security and privacy researcher. Charlottesville, VA
- Mary Ellen Zurko @mzurko CyberSecurity with an emphasis on human use, integration, and impacts
- M Dennedy @mdennedy VP & CPO at Cisco. Co-author of The Privacy Engineer’s Manifesto. These are my own views & wonderings. USA
- Monica Lam @MonicaSLam Professor, Computer Science Department at Stanford University. Co-Founder of MobiSocial. Co-founder and Chief Scientist at Mokafive.
- Nadia Carlsten @NadiaCarlsten Will not choose between Tech and Business. Founder @CarlstenInno: #OpenInnovation & IP Management. Tech to Market Program Manager #TTPTech | Personal Account Washington, DC
- Nadia Heninger @nadiaheninger
- Phillipa Gill @phillipa_gill Assoc. Prof. of Computer Science, Faculty Associate of the School of Public Policy @ UMass–Amherst, and Berkman Klein Center @ Harvard U. Poodle Fancier.
- Sharon Goldberg @goldbe founder/ceo, @CWCrypto. network security researcher and cs professor, boston university.
- Sophie Engle @sjengle Woman, computer scientist, daughter of an immigrant, and Associate Professor at the University of San Francisco. San Francisco, California
- Tamara Denning @tamaradenning Assistant Professor in the School of Computing at the University of Utah. My interests are in the human aspects of computer security and privacy.
- Eve Adams, Certified Madwoman @HackerHuntress Cook, recruitrix, bassist, linguist, #Python & #bash programmer, #infosec / #linux refugee, #queer, bookish, arthritic lockpicker, feminist Borg Queen. Chicago
- Dimple Ahluwalia @D_Ahluwalia
- Violet Blue® @violetblue Awarded author, indie reporter, @Engadget columnist, @WithoutConsent Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc. My new book: http://amzn.to/2rI0zoa
- Joy Chik @joychik Corporate VP, Microsoft Identity: Azure Active Directory, Office365, Microsoft Account, Xbox, Skype, more | Board member @AnitaB_org | Yoga | Hiking Redmond, WA
- Brandie Claborn @brandieclaborn Always thinking about people + technology. Communications chief @Qualcomm. #Cybersecurity #FosterYouth supporter. Former @McAfee @Intel @Tech_Data. San Diego
- Marisa Fagan @dewzi Security Culture Expert – Product Security for Synopsys – Metrics Enthusiast San Francisco, CA
- Prachi Gupta @prchg Geek, Innovator, Hacker, problem solver, Director of Engineering @Linkedin, [in]cubator co-founder, forever curious (http://www.linkedin.com/in/prachigupta/ ) San francisco, CA
- Cecily Joseph @CecilyJosephCR Proud mom with international roots; love my job as @Symantec’s VP of Corporate Responsibility #Diversity #CSR, sustainability & #socialgood/Opinions=Correct San Francisco Bay Area
- Limor Kessem, CISO @iCyberFighter Threat Intel Expert | Author | Speaker #cybercrime hunter, futurist, CISM, champion Women in Security, #BJJ fighter. Work for IBM, opinions tweeted are my own.
- TamaraMcCleary@TamaraMcCleary #CEO @ThuliumCo | Top 25 #CMO #CIO#AI #AR #VR #IoT #Robotics #BigData#STEM #MarTech Influencer | #Leadership #Marketing #FutureofWorkGlobal #Speaker
- Elinor Mills @elinormills Senior VP of Content and Media Strategy at Bateman Group, security/hacker enthusiast, humanist, feminist, animal advocate. San Francisco
- Chandra McMahon @LM_Chandra Vice President, Lockheed Martin Commercial Cyber Views are my own
- Emily Heath @CISOEmilyHeath Chief Information Security Officer at United Airlines. Lover of food, travel, technology, art and everything creative! Opinions are my own. Chicago, IL
- Michelle Nguyen @nguyenwin Superhero. They call me Storm. Protector of the cyber world, so same thing. Daughter of refugees, conscious living, startups, #GirlsinSTEM, @Eagles, & hip hop.
- Kasha Gauthier @kashagauthier persisting, resisting, surviving, thriving, and writing about it. also: privacy, security.
- Teresa Rothaar @trothaar #Copywriter to #IT & entertainment firms; #writer; #Marathon #runner; #BreastCancersurvivor. Primarily post about #cybersecurity, #running & my fandoms. Jacksonville Beach, FL
- BaduOnSecurity @BaduOnSecurity ‘I.. was born under water… with 3 dollars and 6 dimes..’ Fresh to Death. Payments Security, RF, ISO8583 nerd, App Sec, Cloud Sec Eng + Automation, Philosoph. Bay Area, CA
- Leah Lease @LeahLease Microsoft Threat Intelligence Center, Azure Security Center, Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection Seattle, USA
- Madi @quarantinedmail Student in Information Technology, interested in Security, Co-Founder of a local GirlsWhoCode club, Security Intern ʕ ͡° ᴥ ͡° ʔ here 🐟y, 🐟y
- Joan Pepin @CloudCISO_Joan Security thought leader and CISO at Auth0 with over 20 years of Information Security experience. Portland, OR
- Kim Ngoc @kim_ngoc_le Security Analyst. Break all the things. #WISPDEFCONSQUAD #CCNACyberOps #SANSWomenAcademy #GIACCertified #BlueTeam #Infosec
- alexia @TypeError Not afraid to break stuff. Engineer, CS student, security analyst, INFJ, 🐍 Pythoness. Into threat intel, privacy, ML, & passwords. she//her
- Diana Smith @diana_maureens Threat Intelligence Analyst
- Ke1sey @unfoldmybrain @hurricanelabs very broken #infosec marketing person • INTJ • Emotional capacity on par with Spock. (Oh, and I’m actually Satan🔥❤️😈)
- Orel Pery @Orelpery Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst. Opinions are my own.
- Lindsey Ledford @deborahlindseyl cybersecurity. algorithmic accountability. @hiretechladies founding member. obsessed w podcasts, sociology, & boston terriers. #WISPDEFCONSQUAD Atlanta, GA
- Larisa Breton @TweetLarisa Security. Research. STEAM. Women in Tech. Education. Zumba. Hockey. Metta! Personal account. U.S.A.
- CyberJedi @SuchiPahi I spread the good word about #Privacy and #DataProtection! @ILPFoundry Fellow. Pro Bono makes the 🌎. (Views my own) CIPP/US
- Lisa M. Angelo @Lisa_M_Angelo Interested in the insection of law & tech. #CyberLiability #DataPrivacy #CyberInsuance. Forward-thinking law…plus, I bring my dog to work.
- Rohini @whyyouwander #Traveler , #TravelWriter , #Passionate about Women in Technology #WIT, #Cybersecurity& Oil Painting Experimenting Work Smart, Travel Better Sydney, New South Wales
- Mishi Choudhary @MishiChoudhary Technology Lawyer, FOSS, Privacy. Managing Partner, Mishi Choudhary & Associates, Legal Director at @sflc , Re-tweets r not endorsements! New York City, New Delhi
- Ms Smith @PrivacyFanatic Hi. I write the Privacy and Security Fanatic blog for CSO Online.
- Sophie Tacchi @SophTac #infosec Tweets: views are my own /opinion personnelle #cybersecurity Paris, France
- Kathi Whitbey @kjo364 Lucky wife. Stepmom. Cybersecurity professional. EMS volunteer. Runner. Traveler. Awesome Aunt. Virginia, USA
- Amna @AmnaKMahmood Junior Malware Analyst • Learning in the field, one bit at a time • Opinions are my own etc. Baltimore, MD
- Briana Frank ☁️ @FranklyBriana Laugh and Love more. Don’t be boring. Argue only with facts. Take risks but have 17 back-up plans. Program Director IBM Cloud
- Astha Singhal @astha_singhal AppSec Leader at Netflix San Francisco
- Emma Dean @EmmaFrancesDean (Née Carr). Politics & comms @hanovertweets // Dev Board member @YWTrust#HowFar100// Northern girl in exile // Expect tweets on tech, politics & cyber security
- @serendipitousP @serendipitousP geeky girl with awesome networking capacity. i love to connect the dots…asking and answering questions, serendipitously. central NJ, phila, nyc
- JustMe 🌌 @chedmnds BlueTeamer, DFIR, Security operations United States
- 𝚂𝚎𝚌𝚞𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚢 𝙽𝚎𝚛𝚍𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚎 @secnerdette Privacy & security professional | Learner of new things | #dfir #secdevops San Francisco, CA
- Lisa Johnson @LisaJohnson Director of Programs & Comms @ACSCorg • Cybersecurity • Opinions & Snark Mine • Boston You’re My Home • Wanderlust never quenched Boston, MA
- Stella @MlleLicious D&I |privacy advocate| Brit As A Service| gifted with dark,Brit humor| she/Her|Officially manages Social Media for 🇬🇧✨
- scar lett @scarlett_cyber CISO, CIO, CTO, Information Security, Ethical Hackers, Certified Ethical Hacker, CyberSecurity, Information Technology.. Changing the WORLD of CYBER SECURITY. United States
Do women make up only 11 percent of the cybersecurity workforce? Or, is the figure closer to 20 percent?
Cybercrime Magazine believes the number is so big that we’ll need a database to handle the chore. We’ll be back shortly with a powerful searchable directory of women in the cybersecurity field. Our weekly articles with the names of women in cyber will continue to be unstructured and make for a fun read – the database will bring structure and make it easy to search for names by keywords and phrases.
SEND US YOUR NAMES
While Twitter is hardly the only source to research names, our team has concluded it’s the best for this project. We may certainly expand the format, but for now a project of this sort is a huge undertaking and we need to stay focused.
We will be crowdsourcing names as part of our research and compilation. Do you want to participate? Get in touch with us here and we’ll explain how you can contribute names to the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field.
Many of you sent us names earlier this week. We are grateful for your contribution – and our team is processing them.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.