10 Jul 247 Women In Cybersecurity To Follow On Twitter, New Names Won’t Stop!
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of its kind
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Sausalito, Calif. – Jul. 10, 2018
Cybercrime Magazine has 4 women in cyber – a researcher, a reporter, a journalist, and an editor – working on a project to publish the world’s largest list of women in cyber.
The compilation started on Jun. 26 with an inaugural list of 58 women in cybersecurity to follow on Twitter – including CISOs, IT security pros, cybersecurity company founders and CEOs, entrepreneurs, community organizers, investors, government workers, journalists, and more.
Our editors have been swarmed with inquiries from readers – giving us a collective thumbs-up, contributing names and Twitter handles, and encouraging us to keep it coming.
Cybercrime Magazine is planning to compile the world’s largest list of women in cyber. The number of names has gone from a few dozen to a few thousand in a matter of days.
We are pleased to announce that our team will be back to you on a regular basis (at least weekly, and sometimes more frequently) with new names to follow and share. The tally was up to 181 last week – and we’ve got another 66 this week, for a total of 247 to date.
66 WOMEN IN CYBER
The cybersecurity thought leaders we follow, and you should too:
- Ngozi Orji @NgoziOr37557187 Self driven lady,focus and a cyber security enthusiast…. Lagos
- Whitney Champion @shortxstack ♥♥♥ == linux, infosec, devops, automation, AWS, http://OpenSOC.io , http://HackerTracker.info , android, crossfit, whiskey, sweatpants, APPSTATE! http://short-stack.net . Charleston, SC
- Julia White @julwhite Microsoft Corporate Vice President. @Azure, @MSHybridCloud, @SQLServer. Fan of all things productivity @Office365. Avid supporter of @CityYearSeattle. Seattle
- Quiessence @itsquiessence Polished exterior, Techie interior | InfoSec Unicorn | Creator of @securingurpath | Cofounder @ourjourni. NYC
- Katie Ledoux @kledoux Internal security team @Rapid7. @VillanovaU alum. Even worse in real life!!! Boston
- Charlotte Jee @charlottejee Editor @techworldnews @idgworld Founder @jeneoltd ‘Pesky journalist’. Rik Mayall, rock and Tolkien fan. @uclssees grad and @mindcharity advocate. London, UK
- Selena Larson @selenalarson Technical writing, smashing FUD @DragosInc // fan of making the world safer and more secure. Prev: Security and privacy journalist. Hunter drew my avi. San Francisco, CA
- Heike Ritter @HeikeRitter Product Manager at Microsoft • Windows Defender ATP #WDATP ❤ my job ☕ coffee addicted❗️Tweets are my own. Seattle, WA – United States
- Simone Petrella @simonepetrella Cyber security education for the board room and beyond. Closet lawyer and woman in business. The exciting part about life is living it. Washington DC
- Chrissa McFarlane @ChrissaTanelia #Founder & #CEO @patientory. Passionate about all things digital health. Atlanta via NYC via JAMAICA
- Yan @bcrypt FOLLOWS YOU. security at @brave / helped build @httpseverywhere @letsencrypt @securedrop @privacybadger / @MIT physics alum / https://soundcloud.com/azuki internet
- Diana Kelley @dianakelley14 Cybersecurity thought leader, security architect, keynote speaker, author, strategist. I work at Microsoft. My tweets are mine.
- Christina Camilleri @0xkitty Infosec @RiotGames. Misconfigured cyborg. I’m passionate about gaming, SE, security education & behavior. BJJ, motorbikes, whiskey & scuba are my fav pastimes. Los Angeles, CA
- Kelly Shortridge @swagitda_ PM @security_score. InfoSec meets behavioral econ. “In the information society, nobody thinks. We expected to banish paper, but we actually banished thought”. Dark Brotherhood Danktuary
- Maddie Stone @maddiestone Reverse Engineer @Google | Computer Scientist gone Hardware. RE is my favorite. Love all things bytes, assembly, and glitter. My opinions are my own.
- Keirsten @KeirstenBrager Sec Tech Lead. Author: Secure The InfoSec Bag: Six Figure Career Guide for Women http://keirstenbrager.tech/securetheinfos … Houston, TX
- Ann Johnson @ajohnsocyber Cybersecurity, Privacy, Compliance, Cloud, Data, AI, Inclusion, 🏳️🌈Rights, 💓 🚘 & 👠 & 👜 & 🐶 @Microsoft, Opinions and Tweets are All Mine. RT are just RT
- Mahsa Alimardani @maasalan Tech and Human Rights | Iran | Working with @article19org | DPhil @oiioxford | مثلا 👾 | views my own. United Kingdom
- Amelia Andersdotter @teirdes Amelia advocates information. Wifi and ethics at @article19org. Data protection in Sweden at http://dataskydd.net . Lund, Sweden
- Renata Avila @avilarenata Director @ciudadanoi Human Rights & Tech Lawyer, @CreativeCommons Board @diem_25 + @Couragefound Trustee #DigitalColonialism writer Previously @webfoundation
- Christina Ayiotis @christinayiotis #Cybersecurity Executive, Former Deputy General Counsel, Strategist, Cross Pollinator; Mom; Cook; World Traveller #InfoSec #InfoGov #Privacy #SocialMedia #Cyber. Metro DC Area
- Merritt Baer @MerrittBaer emerging tech, new ventures, AI, infosec, cybersecurity, future of the internet, amateur boxer, AWS Security. I work at Amazon but tweets are my own. Washington, DC
- Christine Bannan @ChristineBannan Fellow at @EPICprivacy & @ILPFoundry. Alumna of @NDLaw & @holy_cross. Tweets on privacy, tech, and law (and sometimes Catholicism and politics). Washington, DC
- Nayia Barmpaliou @_nayia #Cyber and #Organised_crime @Europeaid. Passionate about security, cyber, rights, development, the Law, arts, books and the human condition. Views personal. Belgium / Greece
- Laura K. Bate @Laura_K_Bate Senior Program Associate at @NewAmCyber, devoted dog mom, tweeting in a non-official capacity, and probably sitting out in the garden.
- Lindsay Beck @BeckLindsay technology and human rights. key id: 758D C252 364C F66B C87A 3F3A 5C05 D055 D536 3691. DC
- Malek Ben Salem @MalekCyber Helping Companies Grow through Innovation. All views are my own. Washington, DC
- Cathleen Berger @_cberger_ Love politics. All things digital. Planning to change the world? Count me in. Global engagement lead @mozilla | #TCForum expert | Foto (c) Falko Siewert
- Jessica L. Beyer @jlbeyer Research scientist @UWJSIS / currently working on cybersecurity stuff / author of Expect Us: Online Communities & Political Mobilization. Seattle
- Nadya Bliss @nadyabliss Director, @ASU_GSI, @ASU. @compcomcon Council Member. Sr. Fellow @NewAmerica. Previously @MITLL. @Cornell #CS alumna. Running keeps me sane. Views my own. Tempe, AZ
- Marjory Blumenthal @MarjorySB Director of the Science, Technology, and Policy Program @RANDCorporation. Interested in smart cities, big data, AI, and more. Opinions mine, RTs ≠ endorsements.
- Allie Brandenburger @aebrandenburger Co-founder & CEO @TheBridgework. Sign up: http://bit.ly/2t7kRXH . Washington, DC
- Kate Carruthers @kcarruthers sometimes I feel like being a revolutionary cat. Founder @IoTMAus. paris france
- Corrine Cath @C_Cath PhD Oxford Internet Institute & Alan Turing Institute | Researcher @oxfordethicslab | Internet Infrastructure,Governance & Human Rights. |👩🎓🔥💻☕️| Stuck in:CC. LDN|BXL|AMS|OXF|SUITCASE
- Kate Charlet @KateCharlet Director for Technology & International Affairs @CarnegieEndow. Int’l stability implications of cyber, AI, biotech. Fmr senior Cyber Policy civilian at Pentagon.
- Danielle Citron @daniellecitron Professor of Law @UMDLaw | Author, Hate Crimes in Cyberspace (HUP) | Affiliate Scholar @YaleISP @StanfordCIS | Board @EPICprivacy @CCRI
- Natasha Cohen @tashabcohen Cybersecurity Policy Fellow @NewAmerica & Director of Compliance & Infosec Risk @BlueVoyant. Also, SCUBA, wine, and faraway places. New York, NY
- Michelle W. Cohen @MichelleWCohen DC privacy, marketing & gaming lawyer @IfrahLaw; VP-Legal & Secretary @NatlWomansParty @ @BelmontPaulNPS Views expressed are own. Washington, DC
- Maura Conway @galwaygrrl Prof International Security @LawGovDCU, Coordinator of @VOX_Pol. Mostly tweet about terrorism & Internet, & related. Dublin, Ireland
- Laura DeNardis @LauraDeNardis Author, Engineer, Internet Governance Prof @AmericanU, Classical Guitarist, http://internetgovernancelab.org , #netgov #cybersecurity @yaleisp. Washington, DC
- Shauna Dillavou @shaunalead Security translator, tech trainer, founder. Lover of choice, safe spaces, and free expression. Truman Partner. Principal, Security Positive. Washington, DC
- Renee DiResta @noUpside researching computational propaganda & disinfo w/ @data4democracy & @newknowledgeAI. Mozilla Fellow. prev founder at @havenmx🚢, VC @OATV, trader @ Jane Street. San Francisco, CA
- April Doss @AprilFDoss Chair of cyber & privacy at Saul Ewing. Formerly senior counsel at SSCI and head of intelligence law at NSA. Opinions are my own; retweet isn’t endorsement. Maryland, USA
- Amit Elazari @AmitElazari Doctoral law candidate @BerkeleyLawNews Grantee @CLTCBerkeley Submissions at @BerkeleyTechLJ TechLaw legal bug hunter, but not giving legal advice. Berkeley, CA
- Jeanette Manfra @nppd_manfra Assistant Secretary for Cybersecurity and Communications @NPPD. Supporting @DHSgov mission by strengthening resilience of critical infrastructure through @cyber. Washington, DC
- Heather @HeatherEngel5 Chief Strategy Officer at @Sera-Brynn, questioner, woman in tech, mom, yoga teacher, Crossfitter. Tweets are my own. Virginia
- Roya Ensafi @royaensafi I research to have a clear picture of how information flows inside computers and across the Internet. Michigan
- Camille Francois @camillefrancois Watching crossroads of cyber conflict / human rights / tech. Research Director at Graphika. Affiliate @BerkmanCenter, Fellow @NewAmCyber. Previously @Google. I don’t social media much.
- Deana @fuller_deana Healthcare Privacy and Security Consultant.
- Toni Gidwani @t_gidwani Director of Research Ops @ThreatConnect. Adjunct Professor @Georgetown teaching #sest709.
- Lisa Hawke @ldhawke Security & Compliance @everlaw ☆ Vice Chair, Board Member @WISPorg ☆ SF transplant + RI native ⚓️ San Francisco, CA
- Caree Youngman @careecodes Software engineer composed almost entirely of iced coffee & meetup pizza | Director @WomenWhoCode | Engineering Manager @CreativeMarket. DFW, Texas
- Sally Eaves @sallyeaves Innovating #tech #education #business CTO + Advisor #blockchain #AI @OxfordSBS #fintech #speaker @TeamBlockchain #STEM #techforgood @Forbes @ProjectShivom . London | Bristol | Birmingham
- Joanne O’Connor @Joanne0Connor WCSI – Women in Cyber Security Ireland. Galway, Ireland
- Kerry Morgan @KerryMorgan0 Cybersecurity Reporter at Cybercrime Magazine – @CybersecuritySF – covering cyber attacks, breaches, the business of cyber, and women in cyber. #womenintech. Northport, NY
- Jennifer Bland @ratracegrad Programmer. World traveler. Author. Entrepreneur. Founder of http://www.codeprep.io and http://www.in5days.tech Read my articles https://medium.com/@ratracegrad . Atlanta, GA, USA
- Kimberly Bryant @6Gems Founder @BlackGirlsCode ~ White House Champion of Change ~ Smithsonian American Ingenuity Award Find me here: http://about.me/kimberlybryant . Bay Area
- Reshma Saujani @reshmasaujani Founder/CEO @GirlsWhoCode. Activist. NYT Best Selling Author. Former Deputy Public Advocate. Mom @toddlershaan @stanleythepuppy. Wife @nihalmehta. Tweets my own. NYC
- Gina Trapani @ginatrapani I make software. Managing Partner at @PostlightStudio. Once upon a time I started @Lifehacker. she/her 💪🏼💜👩👩👧🏳️🌈✊🏼 Brooklyn, New York, USA
- Vanessa Hurst @DBNess engineer, social entrepreneur, mother. co-founder & board @girldevelopit. prev @etsy @codemontage @paperlesspost @writespeakcode. author-in-progress. she/her. Cville via NYC
- Rebecca Garcia @geekgirlweb Living life in beta. Autodidact. 👩🏽💻🎙🧘🏽♀️ | Technical PM @ExecOnlineInc | @CoderDojoNYC Co-Founder | @ColumbiaSIPA Fellow | Prev @Microsoft @Squarespace. Brooklyn, NY
- Rebecca Herold @PrivacyProf Infosec, privacy, IT|Tech Entrepreneur| President, SIMBUS360|CEO, Rebecca Herold & Assoc,LLC aka The Privacy Professor|Expert witness|THIS IS MY ONLY TWITTER ID. Des Moines, IA
- Vandana Verma @InfosecVandana @OWASPWIA Asia lead and secretarY, Heading @Infosecgirls, Security Manager & evangelist, Chapter Leader @OWASPBangalore Active in @OWASP @nullblr. India
- Bushra Alahmadi @BushraAlAhmadi DPhil Candidate in Cyber Security @cyberCDT @UniOfOxford | Research Malware| previous president @OxWoCS| Google @womentechmakers scholar| co-founder InspireHer! Oxford
- Sarah Yoder @s_yoder scripting my way to success | red teamer | cyber security engineer | att&cker | pen tester | opinions are my own. Washington, DC
- Mariam Nouh @MaRy_NO Cyber Security DPhil student @uniofOxford @cybercdt | Research Associate @KACST @CCES_KACST_MIT | #Photographer | Member of @hemayagroup. Oxford, Riyadh, Montreal
Do women make up only 11 percent of the cybersecurity workforce? Or, is the figure closer to 20 percent?
Cybercrime Magazine believes the number is so big that we’ll need a database to handle the chore. We’ll be back shortly with a powerful searchable directory of women in the cybersecurity field. Our weekly articles with the names of women in cyber will continue to be unstructured and make for a fun read – the database will bring structure and make it easy to search for names by keywords and phrases.
SEND US YOUR NAMES
While Twitter is hardly the only source to research names, our team has concluded it’s the best for this project. We may certainly expand the format, but for now a project of this sort is a huge undertaking and we need to stay focused.
We will be crowdsourcing names as part of our research and compilation. Do you want to participate? Get in touch with us here and we’ll explain how you can contribute names to the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field.
Many of you sent us names earlier this week. We are grateful for your contribution – and our team is processing them.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.
– Casey Morgan, a junior at St. Anthony’s High School in Huntington, N.Y., contributed research to this story.