12 Oct Weekly Rundown: Cyber Attacks Now Exceed The Risk Of Physical Attacks Says DHS Secretary
News and resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cybersecurity
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Northport, N.Y. – Oct. 11, 2018
The cybersecurity stories we’re following this week, and you should too:
- “Cyber attacks now exceed the risk of physical attacks,” stated Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen.
- HP is looking at tackling printer security by leveraging machine learning, according to a story in Forbes.
- CFOs need to take an active role in the security practices of their organizations as breaches directly affect a company’s bottom line.
- Colorado’s candidates for governor offer a first glimpse into the importance they will place on cybersecurity.
- Former White House CIO says that cyber threats are getting worse, and beware of hardware hacks.
- A cybersecurity expert on what can be learned from the ransomware attack that crippled Atlanta, and 8 action steps cities should take.
- Every employee in an organization has a responsibility to be security aware to help keep their organization safe.
- How Maryland’s Cybrary turned a mechanic into a cybersecurity analyst in 3 months.
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) 2018: RSA shares advice from cybersecurity experts on how to stay safe online.
- Investing News Network looks at the biggest trends in cybersecurity over the past three months.
Cybersecurity Law Report With Attorney and Global Editor-in-Chief, Rebecca Hughes Parker
Cyber alerts from AlienVault Open Threat Exchange (OTX) — The world’s first truly open threat intelligence community:
- New TeleBots backdoor links Industroyer to NotPetya for first time.
- Panda Banker Trojan, which uses a variant of the Zeus source code, targets the US, Canada and Japan.
- Xbash Combines Botnet, Ransomware, Coinmining in Worm that Targets Linux and Windows.
- Several third-party add-ons for the popular open-source media player Kodi being used to distribute Linux and Windows cryptocurrency-mining malware.
- GPlayed Trojan – .Net playing with Google Market.
Join OTX for free to share your threat research and subscribe to other contributors.
– Curated by the Editors at Cybercrime Magazine
Community resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cyber:
- Quarterly cybercrime diary of data breaches and cyberattacks
- Hack blotter with cybercriminal Investigations, arrests and convictions
- 20 cybersecurity experts to follow on Twitter for crowd-sourced opinions and insights
- Cybersecurity events calendar featuring conferences and expos globally
- Big list of hacker and cybersecurity movies from 1969 to present
Check back every Thursday for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures. Georgia Reid is Deputy Editor and Podcast Host at Cybercrime Magazine.