12 Oct Weekly Rundown: Cyber Attacks Now Exceed The Risk Of Physical Attacks Says DHS Secretary
News and resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cybersecurity
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Northport, N.Y. – Oct. 11, 2018
The cybersecurity stories we’re following this week, and you should too:
- “Cyber attacks now exceed the risk of physical attacks,” stated Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen.
- HP is looking at tackling printer security by leveraging machine learning, according to a story in Forbes.
- CFOs need to take an active role in the security practices of their organizations as breaches directly affect a company’s bottom line.
- Colorado’s candidates for governor offer a first glimpse into the importance they will place on cybersecurity.
- Former White House CIO says that cyber threats are getting worse, and beware of hardware hacks.
- A cybersecurity expert on what can be learned from the ransomware attack that crippled Atlanta, and 8 action steps cities should take.
- Every employee in an organization has a responsibility to be security aware to help keep their organization safe.
- How Maryland’s Cybrary turned a mechanic into a cybersecurity analyst in 3 months.
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) 2018: RSA shares advice from cybersecurity experts on how to stay safe online.
- Investing News Network looks at the biggest trends in cybersecurity over the past three months.
Cybersecurity Law Report With Attorney and Global Editor-in-Chief, Rebecca Hughes Parker
Cyber alerts from AlienVault Open Threat Exchange (OTX) — The world’s first truly open threat intelligence community:
- New TeleBots backdoor links Industroyer to NotPetya for first time.
- Panda Banker Trojan, which uses a variant of the Zeus source code, targets the US, Canada and Japan.
- Xbash Combines Botnet, Ransomware, Coinmining in Worm that Targets Linux and Windows.
- Several third-party add-ons for the popular open-source media player Kodi being used to distribute Linux and Windows cryptocurrency-mining malware.
- GPlayed Trojan – .Net playing with Google Market.
Join OTX for free to share your threat research and subscribe to other contributors.
– Curated by the Editors at Cybercrime Magazine
Community resources to keep you on the cutting edge of cyber:
- Quarterly cybercrime diary of data breaches and cyberattacks
- Hack blotter with cybercriminal Investigations, arrests and convictions
- 20 cybersecurity experts to follow on Twitter for crowd-sourced opinions and insights
- Cybersecurity events calendar featuring conferences and expos globally
- Big list of hacker and cybersecurity movies from 1969 to present
Check back every Thursday for a new edition of the Weekly Rundown!
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures. Georgia Reid is Deputy Editor and Podcast Host at Cybercrime Magazine.
Go here to read all of my blogs and articles covering cybersecurity. Go here to send me story tips, feedback and suggestions.