20 Sep 950 Women In Cybersecurity We Follow On Twitter, And You Should Too
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of its kind. See the list
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Sausalito, Calif. – Sep. 20, 2018
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field. The tally was up to 857 last week — and we’ve got another 93 this week, for a total of 950 to date.
Before we get to the latest list, here’s something to consider. Forrester Research analyst Stephanie Balaouras, who co-authored a recent report with fellow analyst Claire O’Malley, told DarkReading that she believes women now represent somewhere between 15-20 percent of the industry if you include security and risk, privacy, and compliance and audit functions.
New research from Cybersecurity Ventures, due out in a Q4 2018 report, predicts that women represent more than 20 percent of the global cybersecurity workforce in 2018. Some reports count women out, while other reports count them in. Forrester Research is on the right track with a more comprehensive view of who’s who in cyber.
Now, for the new names you’ve been waiting for…
93 WOMEN IN CYBER
- eryn o’my @eryno Focusing on the points where humans and code intersect. Engineering manager at @ModernTribeInc. Blues dancer & dance teacher. Beekeeper, feminist. Yes, rly. Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Cynthia Larose @PrivLawLarose Privacy lawyer,Red Sox fanatic and self-professed info geek. Tweets are my own bits and bytes — not legal advice! Boston
- @AbiHertz_sec @AbihertzSec SOC Analyst interested in all things security 👩🏼💼 Boston, MA
- Jordin @cybervix3n |Security Analyst |Advocate |Ambivert |Neuroscience |#Cyberpsych #MemeEnthusiast #InfoSec #WISPDEFCONSQUAD |Views are mine. Detroit, MI
- Adjoa Asamoah @AJ_Asamoah I.S Auditor | Security Analyst-Coach | Voice of the Minority | Techpreneur | TechTrends #RiskAnalytics #CyberSecurity #CertTraining #InfoSecConsult. #Gunner. Nashville, TN
- Stll 🍁 🍃 🎃 👻 ⛄ @0xStella Goal: to be a Network Security Engineer/architect |-| Currently: IT Security @ Proficia |-| Pronouns: she/her/they/their |-| Salutations: Mx. or Ms. Best Coast, USA
- Marija Atanasova @marijatweets Global IT Security Content Strategist at BrightTALK SF. Interested in security, privacy… and also paper art. Tweets are my own. SF Bay Area
- Melody Balcet @MelodyBalcet Global #Cybersecurity Director @TheAESCorp. #CharterofTrust. Ex-@IBM. Ex-President @ISACA_GWDC. #CISSP #CISM #RPCV #Ironman #Mom #RealFood #Travel. Tweets mine.
- InfoSecEngineer @infosecnomad #Cybersecurity #Engineer | #CloudSecurity #InfoSec |#PKI | #STEM | Opinions=mine |👩🏽🎓USF | It is never too late to be what you might have been-George Eliot. The Cloud
- Sophia @Cyb3rS0ph14 @Bsides_NoVA Twitter
- Caroline Rivett @CarolineRivett Fascinated by possibilities of digital in health and life sciences, and enabling of better health by better cyber security. All views are my own. KPMG London. London
- Amanda Finch @FinchAmanda M.Inst.ISP FBCS CITP & General Manager of the @IISP
- Elizabeth Denham @ElizabethDenham
- Sadie Creese @sadiecreese Professor of Cyber Security University of Oxford
- Neira Jones @neirajones Advisor| Speaker| Payments| Innovation| Fintech| Security | I make it happen… https://www.youtube.com/neirajones https://paper.li/neirajones/1369506964#/ … United Kingdom
- Jane Wainwright @Waineymoo Director in Privacy & Data Protection @PwC UK – Views are all my own
- Mivy James @mivy1409 Systems engineer. Computer scientist. Feminist. Surrey
- Maya Kolaska @maya_kolaska One more woman in tech
- Girllovesyoga @girl_loves_yoga 50% Yoga Teacher 🧘♀️, 50% Cyber Security Consultant 🤓👩🏼🏫 All views are my own. London, England
- Miss IG Geek @MissIG_Geek Puffin-obsessed data protection nerd. Views are wholly personal, subject to change w/out notice & do not affect your statutory rights. May cause indigestion. The edge of reality
- MKACyber @mkacyber MKACyber is a venture backed MSSP & security consulting co, with elite SOC expertise, providing a business-first, balanced approach to operational security. Fairfax, VA
- Klara Jordan @JordanKlara Director of @AtlanticCouncil’s @CyberStatecraft Initiative. Views and RTs my own. Slovak expat 🇸🇰 Washington, DC
- Malli @malimali_ml cyber threat intel analyst California, USA
- Candis Orr @Candysaur I like computers and information security. I currently work as a Security Associate at Bishop Fox. Posts reflect my thoughts only. Arizona
- snipe, mother of assets 🐾 @snipeyhead Hacker, CTO, founder of Grokability. I made Snipe-IT. Open sourcerer, author, speaker, devops, infosec, atheist, NSFW, she/her. NYC expat in San Diego, CA
- Ancilla @ncilla Privacy before it was cool 😎 | http://Startpage.com | Speaker | former political front runner | retired model | proud mom | hodling Amsterdam, Nederland
- Suzanne Vergnolle @SuVergnolle Phd candidate privacy & data protection comparative law @AssasParisII ~ Teaching @SorbonneParis1 ~ Doing Stuff @RegardsCitoyens ~ 🚲 & parfois Ballerina
- x0rz @x0rz Security Researcher & Cyber Observer ㊙ France
- Slynkycat @slynkycat Gamer, Science, Technology, Security & Privacy Nerd. Jessica Jones Lookalike. Voracious devourer of books. 100% Mad Scots Bird. Views my own. London, England
- Madhulika @madhumachi Cyber at ORF (@orfonline) New Delhi, India
- E Ignatuschtschenko @EIgnatuscht cybersecurity, cybercrime, cyber harm Oxford, England
- Helen Popp @H_Popp Cyber diplomat from the most wired country in the world #Estonia. Opinions my own @Estonia_in_US
- Lara Pace @Larapace International Cybersecurity Capacity Development and Internet Governance and Public Policy. London. London, UK
- Myriam Dunn Cavelty @CyberMyri Critical security scholar, cyberwar and cyberscare expert
- Malin Oestevik @MalinOestevikUN Working at @UN__cyber @UNODC where we help countries fight cybercrime and save lives. I like ICTs, international affairs and talking with great people. Vienna, Austria
- Barbara Marchiori de Assis @bamassis Interested in #cybersecurity #privacy #IoT #ICT #innovation #Internetpolicy Washington, DC
- Catherine Garcia van Hoogstraten @CatherineGvh Bridging #policy silos in the #digital field #DataGovernance #AIethics #Tech #Cybersec #CivicTech Lecturer @HagueUniversity #IGF #GFCE #EUAiAlliance. The Hague
- Kaja @KajaCiglic Not all those who wonder are lost… but some are. Slovenian Microsoftee. Views are my own. Seattle.
- Liesyl Franz @LFranzDC Cyber diplomacy, Internet governance, cybersecurity policy, Internet freedom, foreign policy, Internet policy, oh and theatre, movies, travel. Any views my own.
- Caroline Baylon @carolinebaylon Cyber security researcher
- Margrete Raaum @margolainen Information security, ICS security, Incident response. Team lead of KraftCERT. Board member of FIRST, Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams. Oslo, Norway
- Anne Klebsch @AnneKlebsch ICS Security Enthusiast / IT Auditor in a previous life / GICSP / CISA / works with German precision / sometimes funny
- Mariam Coladonato @mcoladon Industrial Networking & Cyber Security Engineer at Phoenix Contact. California, USA
- Kara Turner @TurnSecure security analyst, nerd, wife, fan of cute robots and dinosaurs, and apparently the Unicorn of Defcon
- Kristin Demoranville @demokris Degree in Enviro Mgt, studied gorillas, worked in Factory IT now the adventure of #InfoSec focusing on manufacturing security. #ics #womeninstem Opinions mine. Washington, DC
- Angel Maslanka @AngelMaslanka Researcher | Cyber Security Enthusiast | Lover of Music Miami, FL
- Mrs. Fox @FoxOnSecurity Cyber Security & OSINT Analyst specialising in digital forensics & malware analysis. Likes foxes. Tweets useless things. LgbT Pronouns: She/Her. United Kingdom
- Michelle Ribeiro @michelleribeiro Brazilian #Cybersecurity Researcher. InfoSec pro turned IR scholar. @LondonU @cheveningfco and @ForeignPolicy #PeaceGame Alumni. #Londoner at heart. London, England
- Elena Kvochko @elenakvochko COO #cybersecurity #tech. Pilot. Mountaineer. Believer in #diversity, #immigration, #education. Views are my own. New York
- Līga Rozentāle @LRozentale Microsoft Director of Governmental Affairs for Cybersecurity Policy Brussels, Belgium
- Silja-Madli Ossip @siljamadli Cybersecurity R&D Coordinator at Estonian Information System Authority @e_riik | MA IR from @UniLeiden | Passionate Estonian patriot Tallinn, Estonia
- Anni Piiparinen Qureshi @AnniPiiparinen Cybersecurity & Privacy at PwC. DC via Berlin, Manila, Turku, following all things cyber & Southeast Asia. Views are my own. Washington, DC
- Francesca Bosco @francibosco Cyber maniac and human rights supporter. RT/follow/link is not necessarily endorsement Tweeeting in personal capacity
- Carola Frediani @carolafrediani Journo turned Cybersecurity Awareness Manager. Tweets on cyber, privacy, digital rights. “Guerre di Rete” is my last book & newsletter Signal: +14783944294 Italy
- Ramona_R @RamonaNita2 Digital Affairs&Cybersecurity&data protection, digital enthusiast, passionate about future tech, privacy, ski&snowboarding, piano. Views are my own
- Yuan @ystvns You-ann. I research hacking, internet culture, cybersecurity & the law. BCL/LL.B @McGillU. Board member @OpenPriv. Formerly: @BKCHarvard|@ECCHRBerlin|@CIHR_eu Montréal, Québec
- Katharina Ziolkowski @Ziolkowski2017 Frau. Cyber. Chancen. Sicherheit. Mitglied FDP Berlin Mitte, OV Hackescher Markt
- Christine Hegenbart @CHegenbart | Cyber Security | Transatlantic Relations | European Defence Policy | Works at the German Bundestag | Life in Berlin | Personal views only. Berlin
- Elina Noor @elinanoor Asia-Pacific, SEA, cyber, CT wonk(ette). @APCSS | @ISIS_MY | @theGCSC | @uniofoxford |@LSELaw | @georgetown | @OUIHCWomenBlues. All tweets, personal.
- Diana Initiative @DianaInitiative A 501(c)3 non-profit for all people identifying as Women and their allies in InfoSec . 2-day mini con, Aug 2019 Las Vegas #dianainitiative19 Las Vegas, NV
- Miki 🦊0𝖗𝓥1𝖃€𝕹 #sec-empress @theDawgCr8 Security Researcher She/Her. Opinions my own in the moment Advocate, Speaker, Writer and Princess #transisbeautiful #girlslikeus #infosec #security #womenittech. Oregon, USA
- Saskia Coplans @ms__chief Cofounder of @DI_Security and @mcrgreyhats • Registered DPO • @OWASPmcr Chapter Lead • Privacy Pixie 🧚🏻♂️ • Shameless Richard Stallman Fangirl. Manchester
- Daria Catalui @DariaC ‘chief advocate’ #CyberEDU #eSkills #CyberSecMonth #Gamification #CyberAware | working @EC DIGIT | former #ENISA | #volunteering #Danube #youth |personal views. digital citizen.EU
- Victoria Kalogirou @vickalogirou not settle on one path #Tech #ICT #eGOV #LSPs #science #cybersec #Data #comms #web #EC #DSM #market #IoT #interop #FutureOfWork #innov #DigitalNomad #DigitWorld. Planet, Earth
- Gayatri @infosecgal007 Pentester,foodie,traveller and pet lover. Bengaluru, India
- Samantha @techie_ninja Privacy and InfoSec Compliance Manager. Dog lover. Tattoo connoisseur. Foodie. Napper extraordinaire. San Francisco, CA
- Nabihah Rishad @hahiban Techie. InfoSec, Rubyist, RoR Nairobi, Kenya
- Carolin Weisser @csweisser Manager of the Cybersecurity Capacity Portal (link below) | Global Cyber Security Capacity Centre | currently tweeting via @capacitycentre. University of Oxford
- Evey™ @eve_kilel Pentester, 100% infosec enthusiast, Art lover, social engineering and Red Teaming fanatic😍. Kenya
- 1shi1gurL @Ph1sh11ngs3c Passionate about Infosec, tweets and comments are my own opinion and do not reflect those of my employer, manic about IoT
- Laura Kaplan @cybermatcha Human being and InfoSec enthusiast Ohio, USA
- ツ ツ ツ @tweerie_ Infosec 🇰🇪🇰🇪 Nairobi, Kenya
- Joylynn Kirui @joylynn09 -Infosec evangelist – Everything Tech 👩💻🕵️♀️ #WhiteHat #Art 🖼👩🎨🎨🚘🛣 Kenya
- Laila Robak @LailaRobak A #techwoman, #digitalsecurity #entrepreneur, technology expert, #books lover, #travel enthusiast, #workaholic | These are my own opinions| RT ≠ Endorsement
- Samantha Davison @Sam_E_Davison Security @Snap. Caffeine addict. Always going H.A.M. Views are mine (not always mine alone but not my employer’s).
- ClaudiaJones@SANS @cjones_claudia #infosec #Germany #Germanspeaker #SANS #ICS follow me for the recent SANS news from EMEA. Swansea, Wales
- Patey Waka @pateyrotich SOC Analyst, Security analytics, feminist, mum, wife, co founder @shehacks_ke Nairobi
- Kate McInnes @kate_mcinnes music lover | AppSec / DevSecOps / Secure SDLC / Info Security geek @ Telstra | twitter n00b. views are my own. Perth, Australia
- Lacey @koronkowy InfoSec nerd raised in Portland, OR. Bachelor’s in Communication Design. I’ve lived in Dallas-Fort-Worth (DFW), Seattle, and Upstate NY. Chaotic Neutral. Portland
- Becca @Infosecurity @BeccaInfosecMag Information security, retail tech and technology news, opinion and debate #News #Infosec #SecurityEducation #RetailTech
- Veronika Harcenoka @Veronikaishere #infosec #cybersecurity #hacking #IoT #internet #fun. London, UK
- Juliette Kayyem @juliettekayyem 3 kids, 1 hubbie, a dog. Co-Founder and CEO, @Zemcarinfo. Harvard prof, @CNNanalyst, former DHS gov stints, board member. Best-selling author of #SecurityMom United States
- Elizabeth Lawler Protected Tweets @ElizabethLawler VP DevOps Security @Cyberark, founder @ConjurInc, “Mommy!”, married @kegilpin, newbie surfer, tweets are my own Boston, MA
- Tara M Bannister @TaraMBannister Founder & CEO @myrentsense @renteur, and @YourRights2018 and soon to introduce Smiling Eyed Street Fighters @SmilingEyedSF #entrepreneur #innovation #usaLos Angeles, CA
- Lisa @Cyber_Lab_DC
- Tara Khanna @khannatw Horse show mom, avid reader, foodie, #security evangelist. My views are my own. Houston, TX
- Ioana Vera @IoanaVera411 Tuba-playing, scuba-diving, dog-loving DIYer and security executive. My views are my own. San Ramon, CA
- patricia goforth @goforthp Booz Allen Executive Vice President focused on cyber security; UVA Systems Engineer
- Dee Dee Helfenstein @dee_helfenstein SVP @BoozAllen | Business & Organization Strategy | #ManagementConsulting #DigitalStrategy #DataScience #IoT #SocialGood
- Julie McPherson @juliemmcpherson Doer, Driver and Dreamer! @BoozAllen passionate about all things #Digital. Addicted to Orange Theory Fitness and a proud LEO.
- Susan Penfield @SusanPenfield EVP at Booz Allen…let your innovation light shine bright!Washington, DC
- Cathy Fell @CathyFell Vice President Global Events, ASUGasug.com
- Sara Merken @SaraMerken Privacy and data security reporter for @BloombergLaw. Views are my own, RTs ≠ endorsements. Send tips to email@example.comWashington, DC
- Caitlin Borgmann @caitlinborgmann Executive Director, ACLU of Montana. Long-course triathlete.Helena, MT
Do women make up only 11 percent of the cybersecurity workforce? Or, is the figure closer to 20 percent?
Cybercrime Magazine believes the number is so big that we’ll need a database to handle the chore. We’ll be back shortly with a powerful searchable directory of women in the cybersecurity field. Our weekly articles with the names of women in cyber will continue to be unstructured and make for a fun read – the database will bring structure and make it easy to search for names by keywords and phrases.
SEND US YOUR NAMES
While Twitter is hardly the only source to research names, our team has concluded it’s the best for this project. We may certainly expand the format, but for now a project of this sort is a huge undertaking and we need to stay focused.
We will be crowdsourcing names as part of our research and compilation. Do you want to participate? Get in touch with us here and we’ll explain how you can contribute names to the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field.
Many of you sent us names earlier this week. We are grateful for your contribution – and our team is processing them.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.