18 Oct 1,222 Women In Cybersecurity We Follow On Twitter, And You Should Too
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of its kind. See the list
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Northport, N.Y. – Oct. 18, 2018
Cybercrime Magazine is compiling the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field. The tally was up to 1,116 last week — and we’ve got another 56 this week, for a total of 1,222 to date.
Before we get to this week’s list, here’s a great story that appeared in Forbes – “Cybersecurity Needs Women: Here’s Why,” written by Laurence Bradford @LearnCodeWithMe, the creator of Learn to Code With Me.
Laurence is very inspiring. She’s a self-taught techie. Her Ultimate Guide To Starting A Cybersecurity Career is truly a must-read. It’s jam-packed with great information for anyone thinking about a career in our field.
Now, for the new names you’ve been waiting for…
56 WOMEN IN CYBER
- Parnian @Parnian_7 IOT security @FireEye PhD Researcher – Teaching Malware Reversing @GMU #infosec Ideas my own.
- Elizabeth Weise @eweise Elizabeth Weise covers computer security, technology and Silicon Valley USA Today. FYI, it’s pronounced like ‘geese.’
- Karen Kukoda @KKukoda FireEye Alliance director, cyber aficionado, techie girl, diehard Buffalo Bills & Sabres fan. Runner & biking enthusiast! can’t sit still very well.
- Vasu Jakkal @vasujakkal EVP & CMO @fireeye ; marketer, geek, strategist, sci-fi fan, proud mum of 3, passionate about enabling possibilities! Views expressed here are my own.
- Laura Hautala @lhautala I cover #cybersecurity/#privacy for regular people. Contact: @CNET profile or #encrypted messaging. Pitch by EMAIL. There’s no such thing as a quick question.
- Rosemary O’Brien @writerobrien Investigator, Threat Analyst, Fraud Investigator, former military spouse, drinker of coffee, all around great person.
- Tracy Kitten @FraudBlogger Tracy Kitten is an Executive Editor for (link: http://BankInfoSecurity.com) BankInfoSecurity.com, a media site dedicated to news and views on information security, risk management and privacy. Princeton, N.J.
- Emily Stark @estark37 Security engineer working on @GoogleChrome and Blink, trying to make the web a less scary place. Opinions are my own. she/her San Francisco
- Camille Stewart @CamilleEsq #Cyber & #Tech Law & Policy, Technophile, @NewAmCyber Fellow|#Obama Admin Alum #DHS44|Co-host @iHustleForIt @TrumanProject @CFR_org @ilpfoundry Views mine. RT≠E Washington, DC
- Deirdre Hendrick @DeeAnneHendrick Queer woman and one of life’s power users. Lawyer/Auditor/Army Officer/Cyber Professional/Trans oman/Mom/Wife/Baby Feminazgûl. She/Her; They/Them is OK, too.
- Jennifer O’Daniel @dcvcjen Seed & early stage VC @CITGAPFunds & @MACH37cyber @Securiositypod co-host. #cybersecurity #bigdata #enablementtech. Fast car driver. Go Hokies! Go Caps! washington, dc
- Stephanie Walkenshaw @swalkenshaw Tech PR pro with focus on security; mom of two; lover of art, science and all things literary Denver, CO
- Susan Hennessey @Susan_Hennessey Lawfare Executive Editor, Brookings Fellow, CNN National Security and Legal Analyst, Former IC attorney.
- Toni Buhrke @ToniBuhrke Cybersecurity geek @ForeScout , #WomanInTech, avid motorcyclist, animal lover, proud mother of three beautiful girls and we all Lean In. Opinions are my own. Chicago, IL
- Jenna @JennaMcAuley CISO, cybersecurity zealot, headstrong feminist, soccer (football) lover, mother, rabble-rouser and corporate interloper. My views are my own.New York, NY
- Cynthia Brumfield @msbrumfield I’m a comms/tech/media/cybersecurity analyst. Don’t follow me here for infosec tweets because disappointment will follow. Follow @metacurity for security stuff. Washington, DC
- Amy Chang @quelquefois Cybersecurity @JPMorgan@Chase, Affiliate @BelferCenter. Cyber/tech, China/Asia, security, foreign policy. Former Hill staffer, think tanker. Views my own.
- Reema Hibrawi @rhibrawi Syrian American analyst | interests in Syrian conflict, MENA political economy, cyber security.
- Ashley Stewart @AJDenver On the hunt to find the best chips & guac around. #PR & #AR maven for #cybersecurity company @Webroot . Need a source? DM me. All views are my own.
- Denae Brooks @CyberIntelFirst MS-ISS, GSEC, SEC+ • Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst@ #EY Ernst & Young #CyberNews #ThreatIntel #Cybersecurity #Hacking #Infosec #Malware #Cyberattacks San Antonio, TX
- Sheryl Martins @SherylMartins50 #Blogger, #Technology, Communications_Infrastructure, #Communication_Services, #DigitalMedia, #Network_Security, Next_Generation_Technologies Pune, India
- Diana Smith @diana_maureens Threat Intelligence Analyst
- Katie Curtin @KatieCurtin23 Opinionated tech-focused Director & Storyteller at @ATTBusiness | @NotreDame | Cybersecurity | IoT | Globetrotter- 28 countries & counting | Amateur bread baker Dallas, TX
- BJ Webb @BJWebb4 Fighting Illini in Texas @ATTBusiness #GISF #Cybersecurity specialist, Digital Marketing, Product Marketing, Continuous Learner, Views Expressed Are My Own Dallas, TX
- Hannah Doughty @SecurityWorld2 Cyber Security enthusiast. Customer Success Management at Oracle + Dyn Views are mine. #WomenInCyberSecurity #WomenIntech (link: http://securityworld2.blogspot.co.uk/) securityworld2.blogspot.co.uk Brighton
- Ozioma Simbiat @Xymbiz #cybersecurity enthusiast || Cyber Analyst|| Global youth ambassador (GYA) @theirworld #cyberaware.DM?Go Straight to the point ||I’m learning everyday.
- Brittney Washington @B_Washington1 Indo-Pacific Security|@FletcherSchool and @Georgetown alum| Flint, MI native| Thoughts are my own| RT≠ endorsement
- Christine Elswick @cmckeown Security PR pro, mother of two, lover of music, fitness and a good burrito. Opinions here are my own.
- Louise Hunter @Loweeze Marketing for Business Growth at Juniper Networks, views are my own
- Jeanette Manfra @nppd_manfra Assistant Secretary for Cybersecurity and Communications @NPPD. Supporting @DHSgov mission by strengthening resilience of critical infrastructure through @cyber
- Maggie Miller @magmill95 Cybersecurity reporter for @InsideCyber at Inside Washington Publishers. Austin, TX native, DC journalist
- BlackBriar11 @BBriar11 Cyber Dragoness #UAS #Counterterrorism #OSINT
- Ella Seals @_ellaseals Not your usual #cybersecurity gal. Spend more time in the sun than the data center!
- Stephanie Balaouras @sbalaouras Research Director @Forrester covering #infosec, #cybersecurity, #privacy, #businesscontinuity. Some tweets about #womenintech, #environment. Tweets are my own
- Meghan Reilly @MeghanReils PR pro in NYC, spearheading @axicom_us #cybersecurity practice || Loves all things #cybersecurity, #infosec & #tech
- Alex Hurtado @AlexHurtadoibm Chicago based IBM’er. Technical Specialist. Cybersecurity enthusiast. Avid trekker. Professional adventurer. Unprofessional parallel parker.
- Hannah Kuchler @hannahkuchler FT reporter covering Facebook, social media, disinformation, cyber security, trouble online. Signal: 4153740969. PGP:F6F7278275DA8AFDB6066143A1BB618F5E27451D
- Sarah Kitsos @sarahkitsos #Infosec PR pro for @Kaspersky Lab. Formerly a Bergeron. Tweets are my own
- Vicky @ Infosecurity @InfosecVictoria Content Manager for Infosecurity Magazine and Infosecurity Europe
- Sally Kenyon Grant @sal_cyber VP of Point3 Security Cyber Women on Capitol Hill Baltimore, MD
- Jane Frankland @dangerrating11 Experienced information security & penetration testing entrepreneur since 1997. Built a 7 figure biz in 2yrs, now offering commercial edge consulting. Surrey, UK
- Stephanie Itimi @Afrocheri cybersecurity + gender equality | author | advisor @africabusportal | co-founder @uttrhost | code/story guru #csfirst | 🌍🇳🇬 – all views are mine 🌿 London + Lagos • seidea.site
- Shelly Harvill @SecureHealthIT Global Business Dev Executive | IT | Cybersecurity | Managed IT Services | Hospitals | Healthcare | Finance Texas, USA
- Seema Kathuria @reachseemak Sr Marketing Manager in Enterprise Cybersecurity Group at Microsoft, Mother, Bollywood buff, LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/seema-kathuria/1/792/898/ … California
- Kate Healy @KateHealy01 Cybersecurity enthusiast and futurist Sydney, New South Wales
- Olga Botero @olgabotero Founding Partner at C&S Customers and Strategy. Independent Director, Senior Advisor BCG. Cybersecurity, Financial Services, IT and Digital Colombia
- Louise Radoor Larsen @LouiseRadoor Got a thing for business branding and personal image building. Live in a Cybersecurity and Tech world. @PaloAltoNtwks is my second home. Tweets are my own. Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Cliona Ashe @Cliona_Ashe Prodigal daughter, Celtic goddess, tree hugger, security nerd… Well, variety is the spice of life. Amsterdam, Nederland
- Charlotte Graire @ChGraire Head of Strategy & Business Development, filiale #numerique #cybersecurity #AirbusDS. Fusions & Acquisitions, administratrice, #femme #ingenieur Hauts-de-Seine, Ile-de-France
- Jessca Gonzales @jesscagonzales Co-Founder @GenuineXs. Passionate about infosec,bizDev, authenticity, genuine connections.#GoBears #cybersecurity #networking #infrastructure Queens, NY
- Heather E MacKenzie @hemackenzie ICS Security Specialist @NozomiNetworks Opinions Are My Own | (link: http://linkedin.com/in/hemackenzie) linkedin.com/in/hemackenzie | Dog Mom | Avid Reader | Swimmer | Comox Valley Enthusiast Vancouver Island, Canada
- Florence D Hudson @Flo4Princeton NASA Aerospace Engineer, Special Advisor Next Gen Internet @NEBDHub , Blockchain in Healthcare Today, Former IBM VP, Internet2 SVP/ Chief Innovation Officer New York
- Marci McCarthy @TENandISE Offering IT security executive networking programs that enable relationships between IT security executives, industry visionaries and IT solutions providers. Atlanta, GA
Do women make up only 11 percent of the cybersecurity workforce? Or, is the figure closer to 20 percent?
Cybercrime Magazine believes the number is so big that we’ll need a database to handle the chore. We’ll be back shortly with a powerful searchable directory of women in the cybersecurity field. Our weekly articles with the names of women in cyber will continue to be unstructured and make for a fun read – the database will bring structure and make it easy to search for names by keywords and phrases.
SEND US YOUR NAMES
While Twitter is hardly the only source to research names, our team has concluded it’s the best for this project. We may certainly expand the format, but for now a project of this sort is a huge undertaking and we need to stay focused.
We will be crowdsourcing names as part of our research and compilation. Do you want to participate? Get in touch with us here and we’ll explain how you can contribute names to the world’s largest list of women in the cybersecurity field.
Many of you sent us names earlier this week. We are grateful for your contribution – and our team is processing them.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.