09 Dec 10 Hot Cyber Range Companies To Watch In 2023
Bridging the cybersecurity skills gap with virtual hands-on experience
– Steve Morgan, Editor-in-Chief
Sausalito, Calif. – Dec. 9, 2022
A cyber range is designed to mimic real-world scenarios that can be used to detect and react to simulated cyberattacks, and to enable practitioners to test new technologies to enhance their cybersecurity platforms.
Gordon is spot on because that’s exactly what the editors at Cybercrime Magazine are hearing from Fortune 500 CISOs.
Cyber ranges have also become increasingly important to cybersecurity service firms, MSPs, and MSSPs, as well as VARs who are venturing into cyber. In the future, we expect to see high schools and universities adopting cyber ranges to educate students on cybersecurity.
Cybercrime Radio: Security Teams Must Collaborate
Debbie Gordon, Founder & CEO at Cloud Range
Cybersecurity Ventures predicts there will be 3.5 million unfilled cybersecurity jobs by 2025, up from one million positions in 2014. Many of these are senior-level openings. A big part of the problem our industry faces is a deficit of advanced skills which can only be learned from real-world experience.
A cyber range simulates what an IT or cybersecurity professional would face on the job — and it’s done in a safe environment. This allows a CISO or security leader to immerse their staff into a myriad of experiences having to do with digital forensics, ethical hacking, incident response, mobile security, penetration testing, threat hunting, and much more.
The idea then is to develop and upskill cybersecurity professionals, and cross-train IT workers, from within, in order to fill the most critical positions.
Hot Cyber Range Companies
Who’s who in the cyber range space? Here’s 10 hot companies the editors at Cybercrime Magazine are watching in 2020, and you should too.
- Cloud Range, Nashville, Tenn. The world’s most advanced security teams depend on Cloud Range’s customized, secure, cloud-based cyber range training platform to hone their skills. Using real tools from the world’s leading technology manufacturers on a real virtual enterprise network, your team will be prepared to win every time.
- CYBER RANGES, Limmasol, Cyprus. Learn, train, test, measure and improve your digital dexterity and cyber resilience on our next-gen military-grade CYBER RANGES platform and technology. 600+ single-user and multi-user scenarios available. Exciting new scenarios added every week.
- Cyberbit, Ra’anana, Israel. Cyberbit’s cyber range ensures your team has the necessary experience to effectively mitigate an attack, and dramatically improves your team’s performance, by immersing them in a hyper-realistic cyberattack simulation inside a virtual SOC, before the real attack occurs.
- CYRIN, Minneapolis, Minn. ATCorp’s CYRIN Cyber Range platform is a simple to use web-based training system that has provided comprehensive training to people in charge of the most sensitive networks in the world — America’s military and first responders.
- Field Effect, Ottawa, Canada. Crafted by intelligence professionals behind Canada’s national cyber security strategy, Cyber Range provides rich environment simulations, easy-to-use training and assessment tools. You’ll get the latest analyst-driven training content in a platform you can deploy in minutes without the need for a lab.
- IBM, Cambridge, Mass. and Bangalore, India. IBM Security maintains X-Force Cyber Range facilities in two locations. Each facility provides an immersive, stimulating setting for organizations to experience true-to-life cyber response scenarios, red teaming and capture-the-flag competitions, in a full-scale security operations center (SOC) based on a fusion team model.
- RangeForce, Manassas, Va. Scalable cloud-based platform providing hands-on measurable simulation training for cybersecurity and IT operations professionals. Admins and team managers can quickly create teams, assign users to each team, and apply the different classes and modules to each team or user as needed.
- Simspace is the most mature, most complete, and most effective commercial cyber range platform. Derived from over 15 years of research at MIT Lincoln Laboratory, our range enables users to build and customize sophisticated networks that are scalable and secure. Data collection and scoring delivers both quantitative and qualitative measures of training, testing, and assessments to provide cyber capability and operational procedure insights.
- Tech Data, Tempe, Ariz. The first ever cyber range hosted by an IT solutions distributor. The goal is to equip tech data partners with the skills necessary to design holistic cybersecurity solutions and services that will mitigate against the most advanced cyber threats in the industry.
- U.S. Cyber Range, Blacksburg, Va. A scalable, cloud-hosted infrastructure provides students with virtual environments for realistic, hands-on cybersecurity labs and exercises. Used by thousands of students and faculty at over 200 high schools and universities. A service center of Virginia Tech.
Cybercrime Magazine will be expanding our coverage of cyber ranges and this list in 2021.
– Steve Morgan is founder and Editor-in-Chief at Cybersecurity Ventures.
Sponsored by Cloud Range
Cloud Range exists to ensure that our customers and partners build and maintain a successful cyber range and simulation program within their organizations.
Cloud Range Cyber is led by a leading group of security executives and engineers who identified the need for military-grade simulation training for enterprise security teams. By developing a flexible training solution, enterprise security teams and MSSPs can overcome the skills gap while ensuring that their teams are truly prepared for cyber combat.
Our mission is to make simulation training a standard part of cybersecurity certifications and education, no different than other professions that require hands-on skills development before becoming a functioning practitioner. This allows companies to ensure that their security teams have the opportunity to train, practice, and implement security defense techniques in their organizations before they happen.